Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This seems like too simple a question, but I've tried everything I can think of to resolve the issue.  I replaced the black cartridge in my HP Photosmart C4680, as I have done a few times before.  The cartridge was a 60XL as called for.  I have a Mac 10.6.8 computer.  After replacing the cartridge, the printer proceeds to the "align the cartridges" phase, which begins with printing said page.   I have followed the instructions seven times, but do not get any black printing (blue comes through and I get an "Important? message in red accompanied by a red arrow curving downwards and a red triangle with an exclamation point in it.  I have no idea what that means).  I have reinstalled the cartridge several times thinking maybe it was not inserted correctly.  I get no error messages.  The ink check window shows a full black cartridge of ink.  I can't try to print anything because I can not get past the "align cartridges" window on the printer.  I have unplugged the system and started over once.  Nothing changes.  Any suggestings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi sammyg2

Try cleaning the cartridge contacts in case there's some debris there. If that doesn't work I'd suggest contacting HP phone support as you may need a replacement cartridge under warranty. You can first check the warranty ends date here

Hope this helps

Ciara

Figure 9: Clean the cartridge contacts
Image: Clean the cartridge contacts.
1 - Copper-colored contacts
2 - Ink nozzles (do not touch or clean)
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi sammyg2

Try cleaning the cartridge contacts in case there's some debris there. If that doesn't work I'd suggest contacting HP phone support as you may need a replacement cartridge under warranty. You can first check the warranty ends date here

Hope this helps

Ciara

Figure 9: Clean the cartridge contacts
Image: Clean the cartridge contacts.
1 - Copper-colored contacts
2 - Ink nozzles (do not touch or clean)
HP Recommended

Ciara,

I have been presented with exactly the same problem with a friend's Photosmart C4780. She fitted a new HP300 black cartridge and now the printer won't align because it won't print black at all. I cleaned the contacts in the manner illustrated (the cotton bud ended up soiled with what looks like black ink and I had a go at the printer contacts as well) and it still won't print black. I have ordered a new set of cartridges direct from HP and am hoping this will work. In the meantime do you have any other thoughts?

The ink level shows OK for the black cartridge.

HP Recommended

Hi acbeaton,

Sounds like you've done all the usual troubleshooting so I would suggest contacting phone support as you may be entitled to a replacement cartridge under warranty.

See link below for phone no.s

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-information/summary/ww-contact-us.html

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks

Ciara

HP Recommended

Thanks, Ciara,

A wild goose chase I am afraid. My friend produced two new cartridges today and when installed the printer tested perfectly. I think she was confused and the 'new' black cartridge she installed wasn't new at all.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

HP Recommended

Hi acbeaton, no problem at all, you're welcome. Glad to hear it's back working

🙂

Ciara

HP Recommended

My HP Photosmart 7515 printer will not print correctly.  Photos came out in weird colors, I replaced all cartridges with new ones.  I tried to align cartridges, the printer said "failed to align".  I ran the diagnostic utility, it says everything is working correctly.   The test page comes out partially printed.  This printer is two months old.  I replaced the last one because the paper jammed all the time.  Suggestions on how to get my printer to print?????

HP Recommended
My Hp photosmart 7515 is having the same problem. Alignment keeps failing. The black color is streaking and faded on printouts . I have replace the cartridges several times and I ran the diagnostic utility and etc. Please help
HP Recommended
My experience with a friend's printer was that the alignment error was misleading. What she thought was a new black cartridge wasn't. Installing a new set of cartridges straight out of the packaging solved the problem instantly.
HP Recommended
I am having the same problem. I put in brand new HP black cartridge and it doesn't align now. Even tells me printer is out of ink and that it's not a genuine hp cartridge. How come hp doesn't even recognize their own cartridges??? This is the last hp I'll ever buy.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.