Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp 4645
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

My HP 4645 does not print color from my computer, even though the test page prints color.  I have a MacBook pro w/Yosemite 10.10.5

I went to the beta link and could not find anything specific to my issue.

Please Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums @JWays! I would be happy to help you print in color from your Mac. I understand you are able to print test pages in color but when printing from the computer your prints contain no color. Have you installed the full feature software and driver, or are you using the Apple Software update? Also, are you using the AirPrint driver, or the HP Driver. 

Please use the following instructions to check which driver you are using and change:

1. Click the Apple and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan dialog box opens.
  3. Click on your printer so it is selected and look next to 'kind' to see which driver is being used. 
  4. If you see AirPrint, delete the printer, then click the little plus symbol to add the printer back again. 
  5. Choose your printer and click the drop down next to 'Use'. You will see the option to choose your printer in this 'Use" drop down. The image below is a screenshot from an Officejet printer, but will help display my description. 

If you see the HP printer already being used and not AirPrint, proceed to deleting the printer and add it again using the AirPrint driver. This will help isolate the driver as the root cause one way or the other, 

If this resolves the issue, please click the Accept as Solution below; otherwise, let me know and I will do all I can to help. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums @JWays! I would be happy to help you print in color from your Mac. I understand you are able to print test pages in color but when printing from the computer your prints contain no color. Have you installed the full feature software and driver, or are you using the Apple Software update? Also, are you using the AirPrint driver, or the HP Driver. 

Please use the following instructions to check which driver you are using and change:

1. Click the Apple and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan dialog box opens.
  3. Click on your printer so it is selected and look next to 'kind' to see which driver is being used. 
  4. If you see AirPrint, delete the printer, then click the little plus symbol to add the printer back again. 
  5. Choose your printer and click the drop down next to 'Use'. You will see the option to choose your printer in this 'Use" drop down. The image below is a screenshot from an Officejet printer, but will help display my description. 

If you see the HP printer already being used and not AirPrint, proceed to deleting the printer and add it again using the AirPrint driver. This will help isolate the driver as the root cause one way or the other, 

If this resolves the issue, please click the Accept as Solution below; otherwise, let me know and I will do all I can to help. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Sunshyn2005, Thank you for your help. I am printing in color now.

I followed your instructions and after going to the preference 'Print and Fax'.  I found 3 of the same printer showing.  So I deleted all three, keeping the 'idle' one until last.  Deleted that, added back in, works perfect.

Thank you,

JWays

HP Recommended

thanks for tip on switching printer from airprint to hpdriver!

worked for me - mac OS 10.10.5 and 10.6.8

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.