Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP office jet 5740
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The HP office jet 5740 just bought it, can't get WiFi to work. Followed instructions several times tried to enter network name and password no joy.

Using ASUS laptop and have ATT Uverse cable and Wifi my laptop picks up the house WiFi and I have internet.

Question: Will this printer work with this kind of WiFi?

With the printer ON my lap top doesn't detect it but does detect several other WiFis in the neighborhood.

The printer doesn't detect anything.

Question: Shouldn't my laptop detect the printers signal even if I can't connect?

The printer works it will make a copy by push button on the printer screen and when I hook it up to my Laptop via an ethernet cable just NO WiFi.

My wireless network results print out  says "Attention The wireless radio is not functioning. Contact HP support."

Question: Is this "radio" part of the printer or router?

Seems like the ATT WiFI is OK.

I loaded the HP CD and my Laptop recognized and setup the printer and I printed a color picture with the Ethernet cable hooked up between them but without any cable hooked up other than the power cord No wireless connection.

There is supposed to be two ways to hook up the WiFi but I don't have a USB 2.0 type A male to male cable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @SamWatkins001,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your connection issue.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer that will not connect to your WiFi. I would like to help.

Thank you for including so much useful information in your post.

You are correct in thinking that the computer should see the printer's Wireless Direct Wifi signal when it sees all the other neighborhood WiFi networks. It likely would, if the wireless radio was functioning properly. 

When it says that the "wireless radio is not functioning" on the Wireless Test printout, it means that the wireless functionality on the printer is not working.

There is not much to do at this point but contact HP Tech Support. What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @SamWatkins001,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your connection issue.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer that will not connect to your WiFi. I would like to help.

Thank you for including so much useful information in your post.

You are correct in thinking that the computer should see the printer's Wireless Direct Wifi signal when it sees all the other neighborhood WiFi networks. It likely would, if the wireless radio was functioning properly. 

When it says that the "wireless radio is not functioning" on the Wireless Test printout, it means that the wireless functionality on the printer is not working.

There is not much to do at this point but contact HP Tech Support. What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi, did you touch the Wireless icon () on the printer?

If yes then the Wireless adapter is defective.

Fastest way to resolve this problem would be to return it to the store where you bought it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

YesI pushed the wireless icon on the printer screen several times when I tried to get the wireless wizard to setup. it never worked. Also said NO IP Adress. The blue light just kept blinking and blinking and...

I made sure that the wireless was ON too, and nothing showed up on my laptop as a wireless connection for a printer of any kind.

The "radio" wifi transmitter apparently is not working.

I aggree It should be returned to the store I would never void any warranty by opening it up.

It is a refurbished unit hopefully the wireless fuction was thoroughly tested. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.