Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Terrey,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand you are unable to print in black.
I will be happy to help you.

The only other thing to consider is if you are using Genuine HP Cartridges,
the date on the cartridges are still in warranty and make sure the the ink levels are not low or empty.

If you have tried all the steps in the document for checking the vents and cleaning the contacts on the cartridges and printhead, soaking the printhead and still you are unable to print in black then I would contact HP Tech Support for further assistance to see what other options are available for you, you can also find out about the trade in and trade up program. Contact HP Worldwide.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I did a partial reset several times and still no black. I then removed the ink cartridges and the cartridge holder and cleaned the holder with hot water. Removed quite a bit of caked up ink. Then I tried it again and still no black. I went and bought a new Epson all in one for $62.00 at Target. When I came home I figured I might as well try to fix the HP one more time.  I ran the clean print heads tool 5 times and used almost all of the ink, but alas it is once again printing black.

Actually, I believe that once I came home with a brand new Epson, the HP said, "holy crap, I'm being replaced" and got it's act together. 

HP Recommended

I want to pass on what finally worked for me:  official HP cartridge

i had this frustrating problem, and i went thru a few pages of the (long) thread about the printers not printing black, and i tried all the solutions i saw , like re-booting and cleaning the carriage in warm water.  none helped.

i've been using recylcled ink cartridges.   my last ditch attempt before tossing the thing was to go buy an official HP cartridge and plug that in.

it worked, and the printer is ok again. 

meh. 

by the way, do you have any advice for getting the printer to not have an issue with re-done cartridges?  or do you think they're generally ok to use and the 3 new ones i tried were all just bad?

HP Recommended

hi

printer will not print black

french2

HP Recommended

@french2 wrote:

hi

printer will not print black

french2

Try the troubleshooting steps in this document.  If that fails then see this post.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Wow.  This worked.  I have been fiddling with this for 3 weeks now.  Even put in 3 new cartridges.  When I did take out the cartridge, everything was caked with black ink.  Took me 10 minutes, 3 rags and 20 q-tips but I got it.  The sink and my hands looked like I painted them black.  I can not thank you enough.

HP Recommended

Ran partial reset and when printer came back on it ran alingment which ended with "ink System Failure" error 0xc19a0013..  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Had the same problem. After you did all of the above you can try this. The printhead cleaning will work if you only print one page at a time, but print more than 3 will make the black ink fade again. If this is the case then you have dried ink in one of the pipes coming from the ink pump, most likely the one pointing to the back of the printer.

This is a messy time comsuming job and you have to strip most of the printer but simple. You need to do a clean print head the first time you switch on the printer and might get a error on the screen but all should be well after the second stage printhead clening. Done this on 4 printers now and works perfect.

Hope this helps some one.

HP Recommended

@Headbear wrote:

This is the critical step: Perform a Partial Reset from the Support Menu

1. Find the Curved Back Arrow by pressing the little forward arrow ( the Curved Back Arrow is not visilble from home screen)

2. Go back to home screen

3. tap the location 4 times where the Curved Back Arrow was showing on Step 1 (its not illuminated now).

4. You are now in the Support Menu. Go forward to Resets Menu. Find and perform a Partial Reset.

5. If the printer does not restart in 30 seconds hit the Power Button.

6. After going through the setup procedures , Language etc. The printer should now work. This step fixed mine so it would print black again.

(I have reposted this from the solution posted by someone earlier...This worked perfectly without going thru the "cleaning" process which just sounded time consuming and worrysome.  Your settings are saved so it was an easy way to fix whatever seems to be ailing the printer.)

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!  I hand-cleaned my printhead, nothing.  I did the reset thing, it failed to align, printed just the faintest bit of black so I was encouraged.  Cleaned printhead - nothing.  Advanced cleaned printhead - TADA!  This is geat info, so confused why it's so hard to find.  THIS SHOULD BE A TROUBLESHOOTING STEP!  Glad I didn't waste money on a new printhead (or new printer for that matter)!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just a thanks to the person / people posting here.

Did the full reset, why waste time with a partial?

And the printer is printing using black ink.

I now know way to much about reseting a HP printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.