Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi, All has been well with this printer until a couple of days ago. Whist making the right kind of noises - It just stopped printing, or occasionally {in response to print requests) spat out a blank page or two .

I've tried cleaning the print head, but it just cycles through a loop and does nothing, switched if off and on at the wall point, removed and re-inserted ink cartridges, removed turned and replaced the duplex roller,  blah blah - all the usual stuff.

But... I've never seen such an error script before - so that is worrying. Has the printer just died on me?

If so, is it possible to replace the printhead on one of these?

Any guidance on how to resolve this problem please?

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I couldnt seem to find a Service Manual for the OJ Pro x476w either.  This is typically the case for OfficeJet products but I was under the assumption that HP was going to release a service manual for the Pro X series since its more enterprise-like than the normal OJs.

I also do not seem to be able to view the normal user guide from HPs site at this time.  My hope was to search through it for clues on how to complete the reseating of the printheads as there is usually a small maintnenance section included in the documentation.

Considering the nature of this problem and what I have heard from HP engineers the printhead array for this printer should have a lifespan that outlasts the printer.  There is supposed to be enough printheads on the array to backup eachother in the case of failures that users arent supposed to notice the difference.  Even through the printer is out of warranty HP might be interested in helping you with the print head array.  I would give them a call and see if they can offer you any assistance.

Another idea would be to find a parts seller and ask them if they have a replacement printhead array for your printer.  If they do then they might have some instructions on how to install it that you could use to reseat your current array.  Googling around I wasnt able to find any replacement parts online so this might be a good reason to call HP and ask for suggestions on where to find replacement parts.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Those 0x error messages are relating to the ink system.  Chances are the printheads have gone defective in one way or another.  That or there is a clog in the tubing leading to the printhead so the printer cannot print correctly.  I would start by reseating that pagewide array of printheads since the error is complaining about something missing.

Give HP a call and see if you can get this printer serviced under its warranty.  If not then you are looking at a hefty pagewide array printhead replacement part.  You shouldnt have to do that since theres supposed to be enough printheads for the printer to fail repeatedly over the course of its lifespan. 

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Hi John, Thanks for your response.  we are out of warranty I'm afraid 😞 Happy to have a look at reseating the printheads.  That sounds like a feasable diagnosis as the printer has been moved about and not used extensively for a while.

Any Ideas where I can get details on how to do that please? The unit is all enclosed in covers and I expect there might be a few hidden springs and stuff to go "boing" if you don't have the service manual around to guide.....  

HP Recommended

I couldnt seem to find a Service Manual for the OJ Pro x476w either.  This is typically the case for OfficeJet products but I was under the assumption that HP was going to release a service manual for the Pro X series since its more enterprise-like than the normal OJs.

I also do not seem to be able to view the normal user guide from HPs site at this time.  My hope was to search through it for clues on how to complete the reseating of the printheads as there is usually a small maintnenance section included in the documentation.

Considering the nature of this problem and what I have heard from HP engineers the printhead array for this printer should have a lifespan that outlasts the printer.  There is supposed to be enough printheads on the array to backup eachother in the case of failures that users arent supposed to notice the difference.  Even through the printer is out of warranty HP might be interested in helping you with the print head array.  I would give them a call and see if they can offer you any assistance.

Another idea would be to find a parts seller and ask them if they have a replacement printhead array for your printer.  If they do then they might have some instructions on how to install it that you could use to reseat your current array.  Googling around I wasnt able to find any replacement parts online so this might be a good reason to call HP and ask for suggestions on where to find replacement parts.

HP Recommended

Thanks John. In a dark room the smallest of flames shines brightly 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Like John say, call HP and ask for help, they might be able to help.

If not, reseatin the flex cables that connect the printbar to the main PCA should help with the problem.

Best regards

Mike G

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

Thanks Mike. I've contacted HP and they have been VERY receptive.  It looks like we will be getting a refurbished printer soon 🙂 So I have to say I am delighted with HP and their approach to the problem. Clearly this should not happen and they have been very straightforward in their actions to resolve the matter. Faith restored and I give it up BIG for HP ! Excellent customer service....

Andy

HP Recommended

The print head is not easily replaced in this series.  I have a service manual and the code says "pen stuck or cold".

HP Recommended

Hello - I'm having exactly the same problem with my x476dw.  Where should I contact for support?  I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.