Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Bunnytrix wrote:

Gosh, that is really a distressing answer "the printer is old". Uh, I bought mine in 12/07, less than 2 yrs ago. So now I'm to send it to the landfill and buy a new one. Ah, the American way! Throw it out and get a new one. If you are interested in more info on this way of "life" go to www.storyofstuff.com and watch the video. I guess HP's answer is not surprising.

The sequence suggested for cleaning the color cartridge hasn't helped either.

If the cartridge is still under warranty(you'll find the end of warranty date printed ON the cartridge itself), then call HP and they should repalce teh cartridge for you.

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended
I'll do that. I plan to  take your suggestion and try to call for a walk thru of solutions, just to be sure I didn't miss something. Both cartridges are within the warranty day. Thanks
HP Recommended
I do hope you tried resetting the printer as mentioned in my previous note. My printer is working fine now.
HP Recommended
Kaka3299, I did try the shut off procedure but it didn't work for me. However, it won't hurt to try again! Thanks!
HP Recommended
Bunnytrix, Please try the shut off procedure in the same sequence as mentioned in my earlier note....good luck.
Message Edited by kaka3299 on 07-28-2009 06:30 PM
HP Recommended

Well, I tried the turn off/unplug process again. It worked long enough to clean and align the cartridges. I thought the problem was fixed, but NO. As soon as I tried to print a document, the error message came back.

I called tech support and was advised that since my printer is out of warranty it will cost me $34.99 for them to help me with this problem, or $65.99 for a year of tech support. Since other users in this forum have posted the same problem and been told it's a hardware problem, I hestitate to spend 1/3 the cost of the printer when they probably won't be successful. So I guess I have to buy a new printer. I'll think hard before I buy another HP product, planned and  built for obsolescence. This is not an earth-friendly way to do business.

HP Recommended
This is wrong. Tech support should not charge you for support as the issue is with the cartridge, and the cartridge is under warranty. I suggest you try calling them once again and tell them the same thing. If they still refuse, then ask to speak to a supervisor. They SHOULD replace teh cartridge for you.
HP Recommended

Dexter,

It turns out that the color cartridge, which you determined to be the offender, has an expiration date 5/4/09. Black and white is 3/11. I bought the printer in 12/07 so I guess it's out too. I guess when talking to them we didn't even address the difference between printer warranty and cartridge warranty, but the color one is out of warranty. I'm going to try getting anew color cartridge and see if that works. I've already put in a new B&W cartridge. 

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I'll report back after I try the new color one, one way or the other!

HP Recommended

Dexter, the new color cartridge appears to have solved the problem. Many thanks for your help figuring out where the problem was. I'm very happy to not have to replace the printer.

Cathy Miller

HP Recommended
Glad to know it's working fine now! Have a great day ahead. And dont hesitate to get back here if you need any more assistance.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.