Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I did mamage to solve the problem temporaily for  2 days. I have the same problem again.: Print Crtridge Error with light flashing. Any suggestions before I throw this pinter out of the window...it is so frustating.
HP Recommended

I hope that doesn't happen to me too! Ihaven't tried to print today! 

In my case, and maybe yours too, it was not the printer but the cartridge that was the problem. Have you determined which print cartridge is causing the error message? Dexter determined that my problem was the color cartridge. When I removed it by itself the error message went away and it just said "left cartridge missing" or something like that. When I took the B&W cartridge out, the error message remained so I guess that's what clued him that the color cartridge was the offender.  

I didn't have a new color cartridge at first so had only replaced the B&W cartridge, which didn't help. I went out and bought a new color cartridge and that fixed the problem immediately.

Maybe Dexter will have some additional advice for you. 

HP Recommended
Refer to teh 2nd post in the first page of this thread(the post marked as the Solution) and perform the steps mentioned and make a note of the message the printers displays and post them here. That way, I can make out which cartridge is causing the problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended
Kudos to Bunnytrix AND DexterM !!  Dexter for knowing how, and Bunnytrix for sticking with it to confirm this. Itried replacing each cartridge, and it was the color one for me, too. Had to replace it, cleaning did not help.  BUT my printer is up and running now!!  :smileyhappy:
HP Recommended

Hey onedad4kids!

I'm glad it worked for you too. It's a nice feeling of accomplishment when you finally achieve success...... and don't have to throw it out and get a new one!  

Bunnytrix 

HP Recommended

Good to know that these steps are working.

A small advice to the people here. Check the end of warranty date on the cartridge that was defective. It would usually be on the side of the cartridge facing you when you insert it(i.e. the opposite side where the electrical contacts are). Now if the cartridge is still under warranty, then you are eligible for a free cartridge replacement. It even applies if the printer is out of warranty too. If a new cartridge works, then the issue is not with the printer, and thus HP should and will replace the cartridge IF it is still under warranty and if it is not refilled/remanufactured/non-HP cartridge. The agents will probably do some more tests on the printer or the cartridge to get it to work, but eventually, they'll need to replace it. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that HP will obviously not replace a cartridge that is empty and used already. Some of these cartridge rejection messages will come up if the cartridge is empty too(it's rare, but it does happen). So let HP do all it's test to make sure that the cartridge is not empty.

Message Edited by DexterM on 19/08/2009 06:23 AM
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

Mine began repetitive "cartridge errors" only after an HP update with the new "status" and pop-ups added to the settings page.  My all in one Officejet has worked fine for the past year, but the horrendous amount of ink usage and high priced cartridges drove me to buy other brands of replacement cartridges within 3 weeks of purchase . 

I take the new status pop up errors specifically directed to "...a problem with your cartridge"and subsequent machine failure solely because I refuse to buy new HP catridges, instead.

I will  toss out the "old" HP now - but sure WILL NOT get another HP product.

HP Recommended
Me too - see my option below.
HP Recommended

I also have this problem and my printer is just over a year old, I also had a hp computer that died under warranty sent it in and it worked only for a few days and died again. got sick of the bs of shipping back and forth. I will most likely not ever buy an hp again. It is pretty obvious that they know they have a printer problem and are trying to move you into a new on at your expense.

HP Recommended

now what I found out is that your ink has a date on it and when that date comes your printer stops working saying you have a cartridge err. this is there way to stop you from having it refilled from Walgreen. how do you like that!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.