Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@bigbob1950 wrote:

now what I found out is that your ink has a date on it and when that date comes your printer stops working saying you have a cartridge err. this is there way to stop you from having it refilled from Walgreen. how do you like that!

This is entirely incorrect.  The cartridges in the Officejet 4315 have a warranty date stamped on them, but this is the end of warranty only.  The cartridge itself does not have any electronic date encoded and there is not any date checking of cartridges for this model (or any of the HP models with integrated printheads).  Some HP models have separate ink supplies and printheads, these models do have expiration dates of the ink to protect the permanent or semipermanent printheads.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi DexterM and others,

I am having the same issue. For me the issue is with B&W catridge. I tried all the tricks mentioned and the catridge has the date 2011/09/11 printed on it. What is the other possible issue.

Thanks for any help

-Joji

HP Recommended

This problem was driving me nuts, so I tried your suggestion......which didn't work.  Then I tried all suggestions having to do with the cartridges....which didn't work.  Then I saw your later post about trying your suggestion a second time.  I did everything in the exact order you specified, but instead of reconnecting the plugs after 20 seconds, I waited 10 or 15 minutes longer...........and it worked!!   I was still holding my breath as the message instructing me to align cartridges came up, but I breezed through that process as well as a few print jobs.  This support forum is terrific - thank you! 

HP Recommended

I have had this problem for the last 6 mos or so, off and on. There seems to be no magical cure using any single one of these suggestions. I can do absolutely NOTHING and it will work one day and not the next and vice-versa. 

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions on Cartridge error, problem and my HP still doesn't respind.  I just refilled the cartridge about 2 hours ago, and it reads "low in ink", but it is full.  Please help!!

HP Recommended

@terriguadalupe wrote:

I followed your instructions on Cartridge error, problem and my HP still doesn't respind.  I just refilled the cartridge about 2 hours ago, and it reads "low in ink", but it is full.  Please help!!

The Low on Ink indicator only tracks the original HP ink in the cartridge, it has no way of knowing you have put in more ink.  You can ignore the LOI signal but the cartrdige must still pass the electrical tests.  If cleaning the cartrdige contacts does not resolve the issue you will need a fresh cartridge.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Long story short, I have this same problem and have followed all the steps. I have contacted customer support and have been thoroughly irked. They have basically told me that my ink (with an expiration date in 7 & 10/2012) is a possible problem (the other option is that my printhead dried up and my printer is now trash... and they manufacture them that way on purpose) and the only way to find out is buy new ones. They refused replacing them because according to them, they dried up (they havent been used but a few times). How do I go about having them replaced?

HP Recommended

one of the two cartridges is bad. Try replacing one at a time. Reboot each time if that makes you feel better.The reboot didnt help me at all,but changing the color cartridge fixed my error message.,I thought a surge of power hit mine,but that was a coincidence,with the power being off. Thanks for all the help here.It really did help me. I never use the color side of the printer,so I guess the cartridge dried up??/ Thanks again for all the help here. Reading does help!!!    :>)

HP Recommended

how to slove the problem

HP Recommended

how can i correct the above message error in the subject section

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.