Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 4620  error: Carriage Jam. The print Cartridge cannot move....

I keep getting this error message, and the printer does not work.

I have watched the support video, and there is not paper stuck or jammed anywhere, or no obstructions I can find. I have unplugged the printer, etc, as suggested. I still can not get the printer to work. The carriage does not move to the left by itself when I open the cover. I heard a a loud rattling noise after printing.. I know the video states if all else  fails it may need service. But I was just wondering if there may be some other simple fix I have overlooked? The white ribbon seems to be intact at both ends. The carriage does not seem to move at all. I pull it to the left, and it remains there upon closing and reopening the cover. I have also removed all cartridges and reinstalled them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I called Tech support.... a new printer is being shipped to me....thanks....

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please check your INBOX, i have sent you instructions to RESET the printer, which should resolve the issue.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the white star under my name.

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please perform the below mentioned steps that should resolve the issue.

• Power On the Printer.
  • Ensure the carriage is moved to left side of the printer. If not try moving it manually.
  • Unplug the power cord from back of the printer while the printer is ON.
  • use a flash light to check the paper piece in the printer ( right side ).
  • Close the cartridge access door.
  • Now plug in the power cord to back of the printer.

If issue still exists, i'd sugges you to call HP Tech Support for further assistance. I see it to be a printer hardware issue.

If you are in US , the toll free # is 1-800-474-6836 .

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the white star under my name.

I work for HP

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I called Tech support.... a new printer is being shipped to me....thanks....

HP Recommended

For what it's worth for other users with the same issue - I noticed the carriage return wasn't going all the way to the right.  The 'posts' seen in this HP photo in step 5 http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.proc...   .... looked out of the way however when I used my fingers to push it down, then back up, it went further up and out of the way.   I closed the lid and like magic, the paper jam error went away.  I would recommend a rubber glove due to ink on this black print carriage thing.  Not sure how it got this way as it was jammed by another family member printing on heavy but still supported gift card stock.  

HP Recommended

I want  new printer.

HP Recommended

MymC

HP Recommended

This resolved my issue!!  Thanks, especially for the troubleshooting link!

Mags

HP Recommended

I keep getting above message - can someone send me instructions on how to reset the printer (if they believe that will solve the problem

Thks

HP Recommended

@josche wrote:

For what it's worth for other users with the same issue - I noticed the carriage return wasn't going all the way to the right.  The 'posts' seen in this HP photo in step 5 http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.proc...   .... looked out of the way however when I used my fingers to push it down, then back up, it went further up and out of the way.   I closed the lid and like magic, the paper jam error went away.  I would recommend a rubber glove due to ink on this black print carriage thing.  Not sure how it got this way as it was jammed by another family member printing on heavy but still supported gift card stock.  

I really work for me when i used my fingers to push carriage  down. THe printing is fine now.Thanks so much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.