Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear HP,

Although I use this particular product in my home offices, Pavé Life and our subsidiaries will no longer be using HP products of any kind.  This has been an enormously inconvenient situation and will not be putting up with this in the offices.

Your manual states that it should be able to print without having to have ALL the ink in place as a previous poster mentioned.  However your product does not meet those requirements nor does it mention that this may not be applicable to your current product.  False advertising is a suable offense.

You have lost one personal account and five business accounts.

HP Recommended

I too came across this very problem today, so I went out to buy more black ink thinking that would resolve my problem. But I get all the way home ready to print and find out that I need to go replace all my color ink too just to be able to print a greyscale doc?!?! HP YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. I will NEVER buy your printer products again and be sure to tell all 500 of my FB friends to do the same. Word of mouth in this day and age is no longer just two degrees of separation. Social media can hurt my friends. I'm so pissed off about this. On top of the fact that your ink doesn't last for 20 printed pages??! RIDICULOUS. Horrible, horrible customer service. I'm so done with HP. 

HP Recommended

Help..!

HP Recommended

What a rip off....

Just bought 2 932XL assuming that this product would work with black ink only...

What a pile of crap the solution is....

10 PM and have to go to Kinkos to print my daughter's homework. I'll throw this defective product to the garbage on my way.

Last HP product I ever buy.

HP Recommended

Kind of defeats the purpose of having separate color cartridges, doesn't it? I thought that was such a great thing and I could replace only the cartridges that were used. Mine has never worked without four brand new cartridges. Total scam.

HP Recommended
This answer strikes me as PURE BULL. I used to have an 870 printer and it worked fine for years. I had it set to print in B+W, never used color, and at certain points the color cartridges dried ip. I'm sure there are lots of printer users who print in B+W ONLY. That means that your answer is EVASIVE. It avoids/evades the question "why couldn't HP have designed a printer that did not require a workg color cartridge?" You may add my name to the list of folks who will never again purchase HP products. And even more significant, you may add me to the list of folks who, when I happen to be in a store that sells HP products, such as Staples, glances over at the printer section, and if I see someone lookg at printers, I tell them of my experiences. And I will shortly be taking other steps as well to warn people.
HP Recommended

Shame on you HP.  There is no reason a person should not be able to print in blank and white when a color cartridge is empty.  Greedy move.  You are moving backwards instead of forward if you blame this on technology!!!!!

HP Recommended

Good approuch Winterman.  I will do the same!!!!

HP Recommended
Note that there are quite a few complaints here about the 6100 printer and the color printing situation. I cannot imagine any way this printer actually knows how much ink is left in any cartridge. The price of these printers is just not high enough (it seems to me) to support some kind of "flowing ink detection system". Nor do I think it is true that the color cartridges are needed for "alighment". I keep my printer on all day, day after day, and I have it set to print in B+W. In other words, HP, THOSE COLOR INK CARTRIDGES ARE NEVER USED, PERIOD. And presumably this machine is designed so that when the printer is idle, there is some mechanism that prevents ink from drying. And perhaps the worst part of this whole situation is this: the answers from HP just do not strike me as reflecting the true situation. Yet, HP expects people to swallow this nonsense they are putting out!
HP Recommended

To All Of Those Who, Like Me, Have Been Victimized By The Voracious Color Ink-Consuming Design Of HP's 6100 Printer:

HP has posted an explanation of the two basic ink cartridge designs they make for inkjet printers.

Click on this HP link: http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/articles/howInkIsUsed.html

The title of the article is "Ink Usage In Inkjet Printers"

The two designs are the "Individual Ink Cartridge"(IIC) (the 6100 type), and (2) Integrated Print Head (IPH).

The article has a number of headings. The next-to-last heading is called "User Choice" In the very last sentence of the last paragraph immediately prior to that "User Choice" heading, HP explains that Individual Ink Cartridge (IIC) printers (such as the 6100),require that all cartridges, including color, must be in the printer for printer maintenance. The entire article explains how IIC printers use ink, & color ink, for all linds of functions other than printing, such as maintenance. The Integrated Print Head (the more square-sized type of ink cartridges, rather than the thin IIC's), do not have this kind of function & limitation, because they do not need this kind of ink-intensive maintenance, since the print head is within the cartridge itself, not within the printer, and can replaced when the ink cartridge is replaced. Also, since the Integrated Print Head ink cartridge can be replaced without trashing the entire printer, ink consumption does not have to be used for maintenance, since it is not crucial to preserve the print head inside the printer, which is the case with the IIC design cartridges. Also, in a printer with an Integrated Print Head, the printer's black ink cartridge can be used even if the color ink is empty, because the color cartridge's are not used for maintenance, and so can be empty without injuring the printer, since the print heads are within the cartridge, not within the printer itself.

So there is no way to alter the massive ink consumption, even color ink consumption, of the 6100, since it is an IIC design printer, even if you never prInt in color.

It would be nice if HP had posted this explanatory link in this community forum, rather than the ridiculous posts of its tech people.

Also, it would be nice if HP disclosed this whole voracious ink-design schemer up front to its purchasers. But then to disclose it would mean less purchaseRs and less $$$ for HP. Despicable.

Check the link above.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.