Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Spoke to soon, after 48 hours it went back to it's old habit.

I will be testing my daughter's Kodak ESP 7, if it stays online I will by the ESP 9.

I wish HP would actual test the WiFi products in real world scenarios, and not what the developers want tested.

Now I am stuck with a printer that is of little value, in that it was bought specifically for wireless printing and it cannot do that reliably.

Time for an "Office Space" moment.... [PC LOAD LETTER!!!!!!!]

HP Recommended

This morning I installed a newly-published printer driver update from Apple, which included drivers for several printer brands (including HP.) There was no indication of what could be accomplished, but I figured "what the hell!"

To my surprise, my HP Officejet 6500 (wireless connection) woke up from sleep mode and printed a document...later on, when asleep again, I printed again...and it worked. As a final test, I had my wife print a document from her laptop...and it worked! 

So, I'm assuming that HP supplied Apple with a software fix...and Apple published it. Would be nice if either HP or Apple would inform us users as to WTF is going on!

End of rant!

I hope others can benefit from this.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my Officejet 6500 (wireless connected):
Without any change in the configuration, HP Solution Center pops up regularly with altering messages about the printer being connected\disconnected.

Mostly printing doesn't start, resulting in a mesage saying the printer is online.,Turning it of and on helps, also changing the "use printer offline" status in printer properties often helps. Looks like the HP software has trouble seeing and awakening the printer when the printer goes in low-energy status.

I read Officejet 8500 users experience similar problems.

I hope HP will solve  this issue soon in the software/firmware.

In the meantime I will look for a way to turn off HP Solution Center, since it pops up every few minutes.

HP Recommended

I have a 6500 with a netgear router and run mac osx 10.6.2.  I have a mac because they are easy and work reliably.  Every time I use my printer I have to go to the printer and run the menu to network and reestablish communication with my home network.  I live in the country and don't run any security on my network.  I have 3 macs trying to use this printer and they all have the same problem.  I don't even know how to go in and manually set a static ip address on my computer.  Any ideas for real solutions before I return this printer to forever switch to a brand other than hp?

HP Recommended

What brand of Netgear router do you have?

Are all you Mac's wireless?  What OS version are they running?

The next time you can't print, try to open the printer's internal web page by browsing to the printer's IP address.  You can find the printer's IP address by printing out the network configuration page (it's under the network menu).

Do you have an Ethernet cable?  Can you temporarily connect the Officejet 6500 via Ethernet to your wireless router?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

As I indicated in my most recent post on this subject...the Apple printer/driver update did the job for me. Ergo, make sure you have that update.

Jim

HP Recommended

same problem here: wireless connect, everything working ok (EWS, Solution Center connect, Scan, print, ping), but after ~10min the printer goes asleep with no change on outside (lights on as before) except the time not updating. This happens even under constant ping requests, they just go "ping timeout" when the printer decides to sleep. THEN no HW button response anymore, no way by SW or HW to wake up the printer (this is under winXP, so the new Mac drivercan't help me). Power cable has to be re-plugged, resulting in forgetting the "Scan-to" setings...a pain.

Firmware of 10/2009 and Solution Center 13.0, i.e. the most recent ones as of today.

Talked to 2 chat persons in US, one had me doing a NVM reset (power on with # and 6 pressed), the other telling me that the chat is only for US customers, so i had to call the 20dollarcents/min number here in Germany... my email support call is unanswered after 3 business days...

Both chat employees told me to set Preferences-->Prompt delay time --> off, but printer goes dead anyway. Interesting is:

Preferences-->Prompt delay time --> normal: around 10min to get the "printer dead" problem

Preferences-->Prompt delay time --> slow: around 13min to get the "printer dead" problem

Preferences-->Prompt delay time --> off: around 10min to get the "printer dead" problem

Preferences-->Prompt delay time --> fast: seems to be 13min as well, but i still have to re-check - beta-testing the firmware as a user takes time...

:mansad:

Could it be that both firmwares (03/2009, 10/2009) have some "mixed up" bug concerning functionality depending on "Prompt delay time" setting, i.e. wireless sleep mode ? With laptops it's easy, just set "wireless energy save mode" to "off" or "constant on". We don't know of a special setting for the 6500 wireless, do we ?

Reinhard

HP Recommended

UPDATE: just some hours after i wrote the above message, the email support replied with a first message about stopping/changing some services that HP only uses for installing/finding printers. When i replied with the above message linked, i got the advice to change 1) wifi channels and data rate, and if that won't help 2) try to connect in ad-hoc mode, thereby avoiding usage of my router for the connection. Well, that works ! Still have some problems with "Scan-to" targets not updating correctly after power-up and connection to the printer - seems i have sometimes to open Solution Center's Setup page but w/o actually downloading the settings on that page, or opening EWS.

So currently i can't get on the internet when printing, and i have some problems with Microsofts Wireless zero config service to show the router again after i switched to ad-hoc, Intel's connection SW is with no probs in this regard. But the printer does get correctly to sleep (lights off and power button flashing) and wakes up w/o problems.

There seems to be no way for HP to get us a "wireless power management off" setting for the AIO. I did get all my new laptops working with my Broadcom BCM6345 based router (http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/hardware/dynalink/rta770w, but with the Siemens Firmware) by switching Wireless modules to be constant on, so i would like to have a setting for that on the HP as well...

The last chance for an infrastructure based setup, additionnally to the "power management off" setting could be to have all IPs fixed, according to HP email support. Currently they are fixed for some, but the router distributes the settings by DHCP. I have to have DHCP running for other web radio devices, but perhaps i can find a way to only have some devices running w/o DHCP. That will take some amount of trial and error again...and i prefer to sleep a bit more in the next days and actually using the printer 🙂 before trying that.

Reinhard

HP Recommended

I'm having the same/similar issue. Just got this thing a couple of days ago and now...**bleep** another computer problem. This has been my luck this week.

Issue:

After an extended period of time the 6500 will go into sleep mode and won't wake up. The power button is blinking, but no key on the front panel wakes it up. I am connected wirelessly through a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. Running Windows 7.

A few notes:

- The 6500 won't wake up / become responsive unless I unplug it and replug it back in

- The 6500 will still receive and print a fax (it is in auto answer), but it still remains asleep. It won't let me print to it.

- I have upgraded to the latest driver and firmware versions.

- There is a default gateway set that ends in .1

- When the 6500 is working normally, it will go into sleep mode after a shorter period of time, but I can get it to wake up by touching a key on the front (like the 'OK' button)

Where do I go from here? What else can I try?

HP Recommended

Hi social_rider,

if the power button is blinking and all the other lights/back-lights are off, then the printer is sleeping correctly. With mine, all lights are still constantly lit, but the printer gives no response by pinging it or touching the buttons.

So can you ping to the address and/or go to the internal website (e.g. http://192.168.1.4) of the printer ? Perhaps you could go then to e.g. the scanning page and check if scanning from the website works. That would mean that the cause is somewhere else on the SW installation, not the printer or the router.

Did you install the version 13 of the full driver package ? That would be the one that fits win7, not the version 12.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.