Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a newly installed 6500 wireless.  Once it goes to sleep for some time (on the order of hours), it refuses to wake up.  The power button and not other front panel button will bring it back to life, nor is it accessible via wireless.  Only a power disconnect reboot will bring it back to life.

Running Linksys WRT150n locked in 802.11 g mode, WPA PSK TKIP, DHCP, uPNP disables, MAC filtered.

USB disconnected, DSL Frontier, filter in place.

Talked to the help desk for over an hour.  Talking to the cat was about as effective as the help I received.  Was told I shouldn't plug the printer into a commercial surge protector; I should only plug it directly into the wall.  I did learn the 9# power button reset sequence.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

don

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

One side effect we've noticed with Apple's latest FW upgrade to their Airport Extreme wireless-routers is that our printers no longer get a default gateway IP address.  This should only affect those printers that make outbound connections to the internet, as a some of our printers do.

When you set a static IP address in our printers, you'll need to set the subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0) and the default gateway IP (usually the base IP address of your network which is the printer's IP address with the last octet to 1).

I'm not sure if this is the issue you're seeing with your Officejet 6500, though setting a static IP address doesn't hurt as long as the printer is always left on.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.

View solution in original post

77 REPLIES 77
HP Recommended

When the printer doesn't wake-up, can you ping it or open its internal web page by browsing to its IP address?

Can we try a series of experiments?

• First, try changing your wireless-network's security from TKIP to AES.
  • If the problem persists, restore security to TKIP and try changing the WRT150N's mode from 802.11g to mixed (802.11b/g).
  • Finally, if the problem continues, temporarily use WEP instead of WPA-PSK.

BTW -- MAC-filtering is not an effective security measure and is more trouble than it's worth.  This article give a good explanation.

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

When the printer doesn't wake up, no ping, no webpage, no fax answer, no nothing.  In the interim, I did some searching and found a similar problem on other HP printers with the solution to set a static IP in the printer.  So, I statically assigned the IP in the router and in the printer, and after  I did that, so far, so good.  The printer seems to be able to wake up when asleep overnight, etc.  I'll have to give it some time and see how it does.  Unfortunately, I don't know the minimum period of time caused the problem - just at least hours.

I can't go to AES since some of the laptop cards I have don't support it.  All have 802.11 g cards and I've found the g-only setting makes the router the most stable.  For some reason, the router doesn't seem to handle mixed n/g/b very well.  It tends to lock up.

I understand the limitations of MAC filtering, and it does a nice job of keeping out the casual interloper, so I use it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

HP Recommended

If the static IP address as solved your issue, then there might be something odd about the WRT150N's DHCP server. Also, some wireless-routers disconnect devices that are not being used after a period of time. I'll check the lab to see if we have a WRT150N so that I can duplicate your issue.

One thing to check is that you're running the latest WRT150N firmware. From the Linksys website, the latest firmware was released in July 2007 (version 1.01.9 or 1.0.02 depending on your HW version). You might consider updating your router as needed.

On the subject of MAC-filtering, since you've protected your wireless-network with WPA-PSK, MAC-filtering doesn't provide any additional security to your wireless-network. The primary reason is that the MAC addresses in the 802.11 frames are not encrypted and therefore visible to anyone with commonly available tools (for Microsoft users, try Netmon).

Here's my analogy regarding the value of MAC-filtering: You've purchase and installed a high-quality front door and lock (WPA-PSK) for your home. And then to add a bit more security, you put a strip of masking tape (MAC-filtering) across the door jamb. A thief would simply remove the tape (spoof one of the MAC addresses on your network) before working on the lock. In this case, did the tape add any security?

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem. Am using an iMac with 10.6.1 (snow leopard). When the HP 6500 is awake, I can perform all printing and scanning functions.

When the HP 6500 is asleep, however, nothing will work...I have to power down and up, then stuff works.

The printer is connected wirelessly using Apple's Airport Extreme router (Bonjour). Everything has the latest software/firmware.

HP Recommended
My problem was resolved by assigning the printer a static IP address.  If your home network uses DHCP, be sure the printer IP address is not within the range of managed DHCP addresses.  Good luck.
HP Recommended

One side effect we've noticed with Apple's latest FW upgrade to their Airport Extreme wireless-routers is that our printers no longer get a default gateway IP address.  This should only affect those printers that make outbound connections to the internet, as a some of our printers do.

When you set a static IP address in our printers, you'll need to set the subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0) and the default gateway IP (usually the base IP address of your network which is the printer's IP address with the last octet to 1).

I'm not sure if this is the issue you're seeing with your Officejet 6500, though setting a static IP address doesn't hurt as long as the printer is always left on.

HP Recommended
Have you found a solution? I am having the exact same problem (as others seem to be having) only I am using a Netgear Wireless router. The printer has a static address (outside the DHCP range). When the printer sleeps, I can access the web page, the status for wireless says it is OK and connected, but it will not print. And there are no lights on except the flashing power button. I have to manually cycle the power, or apply a setting in the web page to wake it up. Any suggestions?
HP Recommended

I did the set the static address (10.0.1.200), and it seems to work OK, both printing and scanning.

The power button is steadily lighted...does this mean the printer is not really sleeping?

Also, after every print job, it goes through some mechanical routine. Is it cleaning the heads? If so, doesn't that waste ink?

HP Recommended

I just got off of chat with an HP Tech to ask about this problem.  I bought the printer last night at Costco.

Here is what they told me -     

Press Setup 

Select Preferences

Select "Set Prompte Delay Time"

Select OFF

The tech - Karley - claims this is to stop it from going into sleep mode.  I can find no documentation to support that anywhere.  When I asked her for documentation, she ended the chat.   

I have changed the setting  - and will wait for my machine to possibly go to sleep to see if it works.

Here's the chat transcript.

Alan Rowland : ok

Karley : As I was reviewing the details, I came to know that you are using HP Officejet 6500 wireless All in One Printer E709nwith Operating system Windows xp . Am I correct?
Alan Rowland : yes...

Karley : Thank you for the confirmation.

Karley : Alan, press the setup button on your printer.

Alan Rowland : ok - can you list several steps at at time - because I have to step away from this pc and walk over to the printer each time. let's save a few steps

Alan Rowland : if you dont mind

Karley : Sure.

Alan Rowland : ok - next?

Karley : Let me walk you through the steps to be performed.

Alan Rowland : ok - please proceed when ready

Karley : Sure, Alan.

Karley : Thank you for staying online.

Alan Rowland : no problem just got this printer last night -but need to get it working properly as soon as possible

Karley : I understand you Alan!

Karley : Press the setup button on the printer--->Preferences--->Set Prompt Delay Time .

Alan Rowland : got it

Karley : May I know the options you are getting under Set Prompt Delay Time .

Alan Rowland : normal off slow fast

Karley : Please make it to "OFF".

Alan Rowland : i thought this was a setting for the fax service. I am not using fax, only printing.

Karley : Alan, this setting is not for the fax only.

Karley : Have you set the Prompt Delay Time to OFF.

Alan Rowland : yes i have

Alan Rowland : long time ago

Alan Rowland : so - you are saying that this will prevent the officejet 6500 from going into sleep mode from now on. Can you confirm that please?

Karley : Yes you are right Alan.

Alan Rowland : interesting - i can find no documentation in the manual or on your website to support that feature. Where is it?

Karley : The session Id of this chat is 2873396 , In the case this problem persist please use this session id as reference,when you login again to the "HP Total Chat Support" this will help us to serve you faster and better.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.