Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It has connected with a usb cable before with no problems at all, but it's just stopped working suddenly. There's no error message, it simply doesn't read the printer no matter which port it's connected to. The printer itself seems to work fine - I can make copies with it, and there are no issues that I know of with the computer. I tried to install it wirelessly, but it needs to be connected first, and I've tried buying a new usb cable, but it hasn't made any difference. I'm on a PC - a Compaq notebook. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A couple of ideas:

1. Do not go through a USB hub, plug directly into a port on your PC.

2. Make sure the USB cable is plugged into the correct port on the back of the printer (it will actually fit in the Ethernet port, but, obviously will not work there).

3. Restart the printer and PC.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

A couple of ideas:

1. Do not go through a USB hub, plug directly into a port on your PC.

2. Make sure the USB cable is plugged into the correct port on the back of the printer (it will actually fit in the Ethernet port, but, obviously will not work there).

3. Restart the printer and PC.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

All right, that was embarassing - it was indeed plugged into the ethernet port. Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Prints partial items (such as the small Windows color logo at top left on print test page but nothing else ) but in at least 2 locations [ (1) on printer when selecting "setup" , then 1. Help Menu, ok, then How Do I, then OK  A SCROLLING MESSAGE DECLARES THAT THERE IS NO COMPUTER CONNECTION.  and (2) in printer preferences via 6500 printer icon, properties, preferences link, then printer services, the ink levels and device services tabs both show "computer is unable to establish two-way connection with the device"] I have tried extensive troubleshooting and have uninstalled all hp printer softwares (including no longer using old officejet software) then reinstalled original cd HP Officejet 6500 Wireless software.  Somehow, during that installation, a duplicate icon with software was installed, so I uninstalled all hp again and reinstalled 6500 from original cd.  I had plugged the printer chord into a port on the face of PC and it was working fine. After seeing similiar forum problem, I removed from front port and plugged into rear port which is NOT an ethernet port. No fix. FYI: When I am not home, my roomate, who is a bit mentally challenged, has, several times, done something which disables our ability to print correctly.  I have always been able to reboot or detect and correct what ever he did but this time I'm stumped. And, please know that the printer's wireless mode is OFF.  AAArrgh!  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.