Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@realtorrose wrote:

WOW, I just experienced this message recently and I'm just as frustrated as everyone else.  Printer was working fine and out of the blue comes this message.  Has anyone really figured out what the problem is.  Has hp acknowledged that there is a problem.  Is there any way to override the color cartridge and just print in black ink.  I can't use the printer at all at this point.  I tried everything above.  Took out the cartridges, cleaned them.  The red ink seems to be the problem and I know there is red ink in the cartridge.  I ran the hp diagnostic on the printer and it said I had a pen problem., whatever that is.  HELP!!!

There are several possible issues, some are fixable and others are not.  HP Diagnostics refer the the print cartridges as "pens".  In order of ease of fixing check the following:

1. Clean the contacts on the cartridge and in the printer as shown step 1-3 of this page.
  2. The cartridge may have failed and need to be replaced, as described in step 5.  If this is the case check the cartridge warranty as shown in this page.
  3. The most difficult (and least recoverable) option is if the x-bias spring has become dislodged as shown in step 4 of this page.  If the spring is dislodged but has not punctured the flex circuit in the back of the carriage you may be able to fix this by using epoxy to fix the spring back in its proper position (see the spring on the black side to see how it should go).  If the spring has punctured the flex circuitry it is not likely to be feasible to repair.  There was an extended warranty for this issue but it expired several years ago.  

The 7410 will print (but not copy or fax) with the color cartridge removed.  You will get an error message but the printer will print (in black only of course).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your quick response.  I tried everything on your list but with no luck.  I even removed the color cartridge and tried printing in black only but even that did not work.  I looked at the spring, it appears to be in tact and it does not look like it punctured anything.  It is sad that I need to purchase another printer and that hp will not cover this obvious flaw any longer.  What difference does it make if the printer is out of warranty.  If the problem is a flaw they should fix it regardless of the age of the printer.  Any other clues as to how I can print in black only.

Rose

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

That offer still stand on taking the 7410 off our hands? It's not been heavily used. It just stopped in the middle of a job, new cartridges didn't work, spring is intact. I just don't have the patience to try and fix this thing. 

Let me know. 

Brian

HP Recommended

@cubichi74 wrote:

Hi Bob, 

That offer still stand on taking the 7410 off our hands? It's not been heavily used. It just stopped in the middle of a job, new cartridges didn't work, spring is intact. I just don't have the patience to try and fix this thing. 

Let me know.  

Brian

I will send you a private message, click on the envelope next to your name after loggin in to read the message.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem came up today.  My printer is not used for a year, so I try to replace the color cartridge. 

Power up the printer no problem.  Printed a test page, no problem.  Decided to replace a 97 cartridge with a 95 cartridge.  immediately got the  "Remove and check color cartridge".  Put the 97 cartridge back in, still have the same problem.   There are more than 8000 people looking at this tread, so it's a big problem.

Will HP buy this greatly designed printer back from me ?  I can't afford to buy printers like this.

HP Recommended

@TanhQVan wrote:

I have the same problem came up today.  My printer is not used for a year, so I try to replace the color cartridge. 

Power up the printer no problem.  Printed a test page, no problem.  Decided to replace a 97 cartridge with a 95 cartridge.  immediately got the  "Remove and check color cartridge".  Put the 97 cartridge back in, still have the same problem.   There are more than 8000 people looking at this tread, so it's a big problem.

Will HP buy this greatly designed printer back from me ?  I can't afford to buy printers like this.

See my response in this post.

I would not expect HP would buy a ten year old printer.  There was an extended warranty for the x-bias spring issue but it ended years ago.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Great post,

:OpenSmile: so grateful forum threads are left in cyberspace forever!  Even more grateful when the great and powerful Google takes me to the answer on the first try. 

Mixed emotions when I find that my problem is #4

Figure 4: Remove the clear nozzle protective tape

Glad its not the spring, or the ridiculous #1 Make sure that the product is turned on. 

Chalk it up to,

1.  In a rush to get the job done, did not cross t or dot i.

2.  The space where the printer is kept is DARK.

3.  Getting older and was not wearing glasses.

Last but not least

Printer challenged:smileysurprised:

HP Recommended

error message remove and check cartridge, not working although i put a new one,scan and black printing not working.

HP Recommended

I have the same pronlem with the cartridge. How do I fix this?

Carrie

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.