Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
I know how to do a semi-full reset ... but is there a full full reset (and actual restoration to out of the box)?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended
  • Turn the printer off with the front panel button 
  • Disconnect the power cord from the product, and then wait 20 seconds.
  • Press and hold # and 6 while reconnecting the power cord.
  • Wait 10 seconds, and then release both buttons. The product resets and prints an alignment page.
I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended
Isn't that the semi full reset, not a full reset?
HP Recommended
Ooops, I think you do the same only hold 9 instead of 6.
I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Ok, I will try the full uninstall and reset this evening.  Maybe that'll do the trick.

HP Recommended
think it did it!
HP Recommended

i shut down my printer and dis-connected the power cord. it did not turn on when plugged in and holding # and 9. i held the # and 9 buttons and pushed the on button on the panel to turn it on. everything was fine after resetting completed Approx. 5 minutes for alignment and printing alignment pages before returns to main menu. just like out-of-box from here.

HP Recommended

I have an OfficeJet Pro 8500A and I want to do a full reset - like out of the box reset.  Some of the instructions talk about pressing # and number key while starting, but this unit has a keyboard that does not light up until you go to the fax function.  How do I reset this?

It was working great but now it will not scan to a network folder...it was doing so before and stopped for some reason.

Thanks for any help I can get

HP Recommended
i also have a touch screen. Have you found out how to do a full reset?
HP Recommended

I have a 8500a with the touch screen pad - it wants to fax 2 sided - I've tried everything except a reset - how do you reset a 8500a with the touch screen?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.