Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I powered down my Officejet Pro. 8600 by pressing the power button and when I went to turn it back on (by pressing and then holding the power button) nothing happens. I unplugged it from the wall for 2hrs and plugged it back up, then pressed and held the power button and the green light on the power button flash on for less than a second. No signs of power at all! I called support and the opperator told me that my warranty has expired so they couldn't help me. They offered to sale me printer at a discount price. Not happy with that idea especially when this problem can happen again.
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are having a problem with the power on the printer. Check to see if your LED light, lights up on the power module. 

Here is a link that may assist you with the problem. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01321436

Hope this can help, even though you may have done these steps. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

@Rudy1906, Thanks for the advice, but I already did these steps. I think these steps is what got me into this mess. Everytime there was a problem with this printer I always followed the troubleshooting steps (unplug, wait, plug, and power up) instead of demanding the company to explain what was causing these problems. Now it's too late for me to find out because my warranty has expired. I would love to save my printer, so is there a part you would recommend that I purchase? I believe it has something to do with the hardware, maybe the main/motherboard.......

Thanks for your advice in advance,

Bidagreat

HP Recommended

I am truly sorry that you are going through this problem with the printer. Since it does not power up or no power can get to the printer, or doesn't react when power is connected, it seems that the printer is shot.

I will say, you can contact HP Support (1800-474-6836) and may be eligible for a discounte upgrade. Also up to 90% off of the extended warranty on another printer.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I had this same problem. Mine started out as not being able to turn the printer off. I tried everything mentioned in this forum. I got the resolution from costco concierge, where I bought the printer. 

So, the trick was as follows:

unplug the printer

press and hold the power button for 30 seconds

plug the printer back in

press and hold the power button until the printer turns on

Sounds screwy to me but it worked. The printer now turns off and on just like it used to. Turns out there is a build up of static in the internal power supply. Note: my printer is the 8600 plus with the internal power supply, so no box on the chord. I also had to switch wall outlets once. After it came back on, I plugged it back into the power strip. So far so good.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended
Warren your advice worked like a charm. I unplugged my printer and held power button down for 30 seconds. Plugged it back in and fired right!!!
HP Recommended

I had the same problem where my power button had no effect. I reset my printer by temporarily removing the cmos battery. You can go to the following link to remove the cmos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWIuUPEHrx8

This will show you how to locate and replace your CMOS battery or take it out of circuit.
HP Recommended

I just got an Officejet Pro 8600 in the shop. It was having the problem of not powering down, like the power button did not work at all. So I set a schedule to power it off. It seemed to work because it was off later when I got back to it.

But now it's not powering on. When I plug in the AC cord the power light flashes on for a second and the display flashes on/off for a split second. Then the power light goes off for 7 seconds, then flashes on for half a second then off. Seven seconds later it flashes on/off for even a shorter amount of time. Then that's it, nothing. By the timing of the flashes it seems like a capacitor problem. But it could be another problem and the capacitor is just discharging after every power on failure.

I opened the left panel and removed the main board. I pulled the internal battery and left it out for about 5 minutes. But that didn't make any difference. And it measured okay at 3.2 volts. All the caps on the main board look okay.

Not sure why so many people have this problem with the 8600 printers. I thought they were a fairly reliable brand as I have been suggesting them to customers for quite a while.

EDIT: After taking apart the mainboard even further, all I have plugged into it is the power cable and LCD/button panel. And it still does the same thing. So either the mainboard, power supply, or LCD is bad.

I pulled the LCD from the board and it still seems to do the same thing, even though I can't see it on the LCD. The network jack never lights up when a network cable is plugged into it. Unless it errors out because nothing else is plugged in.

So either the mainboard or the power supply. I pulled the power supply cable from the mainboard and I measure 30.0 volts for 18 seconds then it drops down to 12.3 volts. I pulled the power supply from the printer, it's below the mainboard. There's a sticker on it that reads +32V/+12V 1095mA/170mA.

So it appears the internal power supply is supposed to be supplying the mainboard 32 volts, or more likely around 32.3 volts but it's actually supplying only 30.0 volts. This could possibly be the problem.

The power supply model is CM751-60045. They seem to be around for $15-$25 plus shipping on Amazon or eBay. Some directly ship from China.

EDIT2:

The power supply didn't make any difference. I ended up ewasting the printer and keeping the power supply for future testing.

cm751-60045.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks .. I just checked and my warrantee just expired 12 days ago and I was all set to throw this printer out. I tried the screwy reset and to my surprise and delight, it powered up...sure am glad as I love this printer

HP Recommended

Thank you Warren. As you stated

So, the trick was as follows:

unplug the printer

press and hold the power button for 30 seconds

plug the printer back in

press and hold the power button until the printer turns on.

It didn't work for me the 1st try, but I tried it a 2nd time and it worked. Dude thanks a million. My printer is up and running. You are the man.:smileyvery-happy:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.