Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi There. You are not alone. HP isn't a bad company, it's just the Office Jet 8500 Pro is a lemon. They are caught with their pants down now with a complete lemon product and are back peddling as best they can.

Your issues are the same with me. I've gone through 3 printers and each time I call I have to fight not only a language barrier but a cultural barrior as well when I speak to a customer service agent who is outsourced in India, the Philippines or other place.

It is very frustrating. Buy a new printer. A brother I highly recommend. This particular printer is a lemon and HP is generally a good company but they blew it big time with this printer. Kind of like Ford Motor Company and their Pinto. They knew it was bad, but marketed it anyway.
HP Recommended

Very carefully - remove the print heads and push them back in. The print heads in this unit are not built well.

One may even look like it is in but it isn't.

Your going to have to get in the unit again just like you did in setup.

Funky. I returned  one because it would not print or it would say that it was out of paper and it wasn't.

I got a second one and had similar issues.

read the forum, learned about the print head issues.

Unseated. Reseated...Right one was the issue once I actually took in the visual.

Worked every since...Doesn't always wake up on gueue..I just touch the touch screen.

Run it over ethernet on small home network

HP Recommended

HiL

I have a 2 years old 8500 and when it works, it works really well. I had this printhead alignment issue once before and after playing with it for a few dayas, it went away. I just replaced some ink cartridges and the alignment issue came back again and it is not going away this time. 

It prints fine, absolutely no issues. The only problem is that after each print job, it goes into this alignment and ended up printing the alignment sheet, which is almost entirely blank, except the very top. This is followed by the message that "Allignment failed". 

I have been reading all over the place, most of the people have the message actually can not print, or can not print properly, correct? My is different that it has no issue printing.

Anyone has the same issue? I will buy two printheads if I have to, but I do not want to shell out $100 and that does not fix the problem.

Really appreciate some help!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I did return my printer, but I do recall there were three levels of alignment. Maybe try to run through all three levels if it will let you. I do think the print heads have a design error that causes some to work only with some printers. You can try to buy new print heads, but with the price of printers on sale now, I'd really suggest you go ahead and get a new printer of similar quality. I suggest the HP Photosmart Premium (C410a) it has similar features and has worked great for me for about 4 months now.

HP Recommended

@ralphhross wrote:

I did return my printer, but I do recall there were three levels of alignment. Maybe try to run through all three levels if it will let you. I do think the print heads have a design error that causes some to work only with some printers. You can try to buy new print heads, but with the price of printers on sale now, I'd really suggest you go ahead and get a new printer of similar quality. I suggest the HP Photosmart Premium (C410a) it has similar features and has worked great for me for about 4 months now.

Thanks for your reply. I did do that and anything else I have read on Internet, alignment still fails. Again the funny part is it prints perfectly fine.

My problem with buying a different HP printer or a different brand of printer is that I use all 4 features of the AIO, print, scan, copy and fax and I know I will run into something else problematic. I actually also have a 8500A, which is next gen to the 8500. While the 8500A seems to give me less mechanical problems, no alignment problem so far and faster scan, but HP rewrote the entire driver/management software for 8500A that it produces an ealier version of PDF file after scan than the older 8500. The application I am developing is not happy. I have posted my question on that in this forum and there has been no answer to date.

HP Recommended

This is what I did. I took the printheads from my 8500A, which does not have the printhead alignment problem and put them into the 8500 which is failing alignment. The 8500 still fails with alignment. I put the printhead from 8500 to the 8500A and it aligns fine. This proves that there is nothing wrong with the printhead and something else wrong with the 8500. I have had it for about 2 years, maybe that's how long these things are expected to last nowadays? 

I guess my next step is to buy another printer and I am considering OfficeJet Pro 8600. It seems to have pretty good reviews, or fewer bad reviews, compared with the 8500s.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I was having this issue too...driving me nuts.  Also, I've noticed that it doesn't matter what my default tray is, it takes from tray 1 first. I finally removed the photo 5 x 7 paper and replaced it with ordinary typing paper...8 1/2 x 11 and did the align again.  THIS WORKED! (at least for me)   Apparently it won't work with odd sized paper or photo paper? 

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issues.

- keeps aligning after each print

- no cyan coming out

- reseated cartridges, print heads

- shook printheads reseated carefully

- went through printhead cleans, alignments, calibrate infeed, etc multiple times

Didn't know this 8500 was a lemon. I just don't get it though. It was printing out fine for over a year, and then BAM. Is it because I'm not using their actual HP cartridges (using a remanufactured one). 

Any updates re this? I can see that the printerheads on mine have an expiry date in the next decade (perhaps because printerheads are rarely the problem). It's the printer itself.

Any help???

HP Recommended

Same problem.  No Cyan although I have replaced ink twice. Cleaned printhead, aligned miltiple times and it fails alignment refering me to some elusive doculentation.

HP Recommended
It would be nice if someone from HP actually read these posts and offered help.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.