Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

THANK YOU!  Fixed my alignment problem as well.

HP Recommended

Recently purchased an Officejet Pro 8500.  Followed setup instructions but printer cannot align printheads.  Have reinstalled printheads, cleaned heads, etc.  but to no avail.  Self diagnostic Test indicates both printheads are good.  If I click "OK" when the printer gives the alignment fail message. then I can print one document, then the printer goes through the whole printhead alignment process again ending with the same fail message.   Any thoughts as to how to fix this? Thanks.

HP Recommended

I wrote about this problem before. I am an electrical engineer. I believe the problem is due not to design of the printheads or printer, but to manufacturing tolerances. The point is only some printheads will work with some printers. If you are lucky enough, you will hit a pair of printheads that works with your particular unit. Your best bet is to return the printer and buy one such as the HP C410a (great printer that i got when I returned my 8500). Newer printers that provide you same function are HP 7510, HP7515.  All of these printers have replaceable ink but not replaceable print heads. HP's idea with replaceable printheads sounds good if you are an extremely heavy user, but think about trying to get a compatible pair of printheads 3 years from now that might work with your printer. Like you my 8500 printheads came new in the box uninstalled and wouldn't work. So again my best advice after a lot of tries I made to fix mine, is to simply return the printer - one way or another the 8500's are no good.

HP Recommended

I'm stuck in this vicious circle of print - auto align - print - auto align.  I've cleaned the printheads, I've physically cleaned the printheads.  I've done everything I've been told to do.  Has anyone found a solution short of using this printer for target practice?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and I call hp support they were very helpful until they told me it would cost be $100.00 for them to fix the problem by signing in to my computer and fix the problem I told them to forget it that I would buy another printer because they told me it had something to do witch windows 7, so every time I would have a problem with windows and format it I would have to call hp to help with printer and pay

HP Recommended

After reading numerous posts with the same problem, one told of having a rear paper tray misaligned which caused the printer error message "printhead won't allign". I replaced that tray and it got rid of the message. Such a simple fix you'd think HP would know of it and not send out four replacement printers and have unhappy customers. It cured my problem sorta but it still won't print my magenta color.

HP Recommended

Same problem as others...after replacement of PrintHead, prints page then aligns & fails.  Press OK, and appears all is good.  Do it again, same problem.

I removed and re-seated the back paper cartridge.  No help.

Really stupid!

HP Recommended
Edit of above...

Re-align didn't work, but it appears that re-calibrate does!
Printed after recalibrate, and no more re-align errors.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. My printer is only 1.5 years old, still within warranty. I am tired of trying. Even if they send me a replacement, it will probably happen again. So, I am dumping the printer in the bin, and buying another make.

NEVER HP

HP Recommended

hi i have the same problem, i replaced both printedheads and still wont align. this printer giving more trouble than its worth. did you ever solve the problem

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.