Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Whenever one of my color ink cartridges is depleted of ink, my printer will not print until that ink cartridge is replaced.  Of course I go out and buy new one and install it then get message that another cartridge needs to be replaced!

I only print in black ink anyway.  Is there a way to print in only black ink without having to replace the color cartridges that are depleted of ink?

Also, if one color is depleted, should I automaticall replace all the color cartridges?

Operating system:  Windows XP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Officejet 8500 printers take individual ink cartridges (IIC); that machine requires that all cartridges be installed to ensure that the printhead does not get damaged. Ink is used in the printer not just for printing, but maintain the printer and the printhead. One can reduce the amount of color ink the printer uses by changing the printer settings to Grayscale or use black ink only. Page 34 of the user manual shows how one can change those settings when printing documents. For further information on how ink is used in the printer; one can look as this page here where it goes into detail on the different ways that ink is used in the printer.
I would just replace the color cartridge that the printer indicates needs replacing when the machine alerts you to low ink. I would not replace all colors at once when only one is in need of replacing.  
I hope that this helps.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

The Officejet 8500 printers take individual ink cartridges (IIC); that machine requires that all cartridges be installed to ensure that the printhead does not get damaged. Ink is used in the printer not just for printing, but maintain the printer and the printhead. One can reduce the amount of color ink the printer uses by changing the printer settings to Grayscale or use black ink only. Page 34 of the user manual shows how one can change those settings when printing documents. For further information on how ink is used in the printer; one can look as this page here where it goes into detail on the different ways that ink is used in the printer.
I would just replace the color cartridge that the printer indicates needs replacing when the machine alerts you to low ink. I would not replace all colors at once when only one is in need of replacing.  
I hope that this helps.

HP Recommended

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500A asking me to replace the Magenta ink cartridge.  I've put two NEW ink cartridges in and the printer still believes them to be depleted.  One of the new cartridges is an XL with a 2015 expiration date.  What can I do?

HP Recommended

@ MontanaMA, What is the exact error message that you are getting on the printer? I would start with this document here. It addresses general cartridge rejection errors in your model or printer. If you reach the end of that document and still have the issue. I would also do a manual cleaning of the contacts to make sure that build up is not the issue for the rejection on the cartridges. Here are the steps:

ollow these steps to clean the cartridge contacts.

1. Gather the following materials:
    • Clean swabs that will not come apart or leave fibers
    • Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might damage the cartridge)
  2. Open the cartridge door.
    Figure 11: Open the cartridge door
     Image: Open the cartridge door
  3. Grasp the cartridge indicated in the error message, and then pull it out of the slot.
    CAUTION:Remove and clean cartridges one at a time. Do not leave a cartridge outside the product for more than 30 minutes.
  4. Dip the swab in the water, and then squeeze off any excess water.
  5. Use the swab to remove any ink and debris from the gold-colored contacts on the cartridge.
    Figure 12: Cartridge contacts
    1 - Cartridge contacts
    Image: Cartridge contacts
  6. Allow the cartridge contacts to dry for 5 to 10 minutes.
  7. With the contacts facing toward the product, insert the cartridge into its color-coded slot.
    Figure 13: Insert the cartridge
     Image: Insert the cartridge
  8. Press the cartridge forward until it snaps into place.
    Figure 14: Press the cartridge forward until it snaps into place
     Image: Press the cartridge forward until it snaps into place
  9. Close the cartridge door.
    Figure 15: Close the cartridge door
HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions - the original message indicated the magenta cartridge was out of ink and must be replaced.   Unfortunately after I sent the post, I moved the printer and found a puddle of magenta ink under the printer.  The new cartridge I installed now appears to be depleted. 

Based on this information is there another problem that is the root cause?  Would appreciate any additional suggestions.

Thank you

HP Recommended
@ MontanaMA- I have contacts the proper people about your issue. They will be in contact with you shortly, please check your forum inbox.
HP Recommended

Hello HP:

I have the same problem.  And tech service on the phone told me there is no override.  Since I primarily use BW, I think the design is ridiculous.  Now I have to go out and buy color cartridges to print BW documents.  That means I have to wait 2 days to print anything.  

"No, sir, the contract isn't ready because we ran out of (color) ink.  Yes, sir, it is all in black and white, but HP printers .."

I will recommend my insitution does not buy HP printers when we replace printers next time.

Unless someone has a simple 5 minute fix that I can TRY RIGHT NOW??

Thanks, EB1

HP Recommended

my feelings exactly 

we will not buy any more HP printers

It is a money grabbing scheme by HP

I disabled the updates on my printer at home (Pro L7590) and it prints for weeks after printer says it has no ink

They say they wont warrenty printer head if you not replace cartridge but if over 1 year old they won't warrenty it anyway

HP Recommended

I've a problem with my HP Officejet Pro 8500A - A910a. I put the new cyan (original  and not original) cartridge,the printer recognizes the high level of ink,but it print all color documents without the cyan, only with magenta and yellow.

I am desperate because I have to print photos for work. Please help me!

HP Recommended

Hey prup80,

I see you are having a print quality issue with your A910a - Officejet Pro 8500a.  I would advise looking through the information above from Shirlzz1 and in the document linked below for troubleshooting print quality issues.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02208875

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.