Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info on this Subject.   I just recently purchased an 8600 a few weeks back.  Got a great price on it and was very impressed until I just ran into my XP machines not able to print again yesterday due to communication being lost.  Both XP boxes had done this last weekend as well but I thought it was a DHCP vs static IP issue.  So I had setup the printer with static IP hoping that solved my problem. 

Not so.  This weekend both XP machines did same thing again.  Fortunately I still had a G85 hooked up and somewhat capable of printing.  

Anyways, my first clue that it was an XP issue was both the MAC and VISTA boxes were working fine.

Both the XP machines had same problem.   Started searching web for anyone else having this issue and found this forum.  I was glad to see it was a common problem which usually ends up with a solution.

I will know for sure after a few days whether this has solved my problem but from sounds of everyones success I feel pretty good it will.

Odd part is I was able to ping the printer from either XP machine yet the fail says it was unable to communicate with the printer.  

Thanks again for the info on this.  Hopefully it works for me as well.

HP Recommended

Haven't read through the entire thread, but here is my problem.  I have it set as wireles connection.  The pronter seems to lose wireless connectivity, which I have to "Restore network to defaults" and reconfigure Wirelss in order to get work again.

Before, I was connectling to a Dlink DIR-655 and it never had any problem.  Now, I'm connecing to a Motorola SBG6580 and the printer would lose connection everyday.  It's so annoying I have to reconfigure everytime!

What is the matter with it?

HP Recommended

Print a network config page on your printer you will get a host name. IN printer properties add a port > standard tcp/ip port > type in the host name which you got from config page, apply. Restart the computer. It should work fine.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

FIrst, thanks for the workaround.  

Though I am replying to prabaa (mainly to tie it to the specific topic), this is for anyone's input.

I had success with on laptop (Dell E1505 running XP SP3).

I had partial success with another (Dell 6000 also running XP SP3).

After I change the ink alert setting as instructed and reboot the machine, the connectivity is indeed maintained... for a while.  Then it disconnects again seemingly randomly.  It turns out that the ink alert setting changed itself back to "Show me ink alerts right away".  I went through several iterations of re-setting it to "Only show me ink alerts when I print" and re-booting.  It keeps setting itself back to "Show me in alerts right away".  Has anyone come across this wrinkle?  Any solution?

Thanks

Update 03/13/2012: The latest for my situation is that I reset to factory defaults via the printer (per HP Support) and now, whenever I boot the PC, it resets the ink alerts to 'right away' immediately rather than later on.

Update 03/25/2011: Uninstalled and reinstalled printer software.  The install process (I think this was mentioned already somewhere in this thread) also present the option to set ink alerts.  I chose 'when I print'.  It still resets it back to 'right away' upon reboot.  However, if I set it back to 'when I print' at that point it sticks and I have not been losing the connection to the printer.  SInce I did not try this after resetting to factory defaults, I can't tell you if this would have been the result without going through uninstall/reinstall.

HP Recommended
I am having exactly the same problem with the 8600 and XP, including the IE drop after a few hours when the printer is dropped. For what it is worth, I also have a Vista and a Windows 7 machine. Neither of those is affected.
HP Recommended

Can anyone explain how to turn off the sleep mode completely?  Is this an option or not?

HP Recommended

Possible crude but workable answers - Has anyone tried running a script from one of the local systems that pings the printer's IP once every 4 minutes or so - so you beat out the minimum of "5-minutes to sleep" timer on the printer?  Keep in mind that keeping the printer awake all the time may much more quickly use up the 20,000 hour life of the scanner lamp.  (20,000 hours is ~ 2.25 years. ) This also assumes you have at least one system that is running 24/7 as well.  If not, I wonder if plugging in one of those USB drive gizmos that will keep a session alive and avoid PC screen saver and other time-outs would do the same if plugged into the USB port on the front of the 8600?  I have seen them sold for situations where if you need a potty break, there is no other way to avoid being logged out of what you were doing before you get back.

HP Recommended

To Rickla:

I'm not sure if you are looking for an answer or just trying to help.

Anyhow, if you have the disconnect issue and have not tried the workaround described in this thread (setting the in alerts to 'when I print' instead of 'right away', give that a try.

HP Recommended

HI All,

For all the wireless connectivity issue please click on the below link select your operating system. Install the latest firmware twice. Restart your computer. This should resolve the issue.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-102210-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart 6510 B211a with similar issues.  I have done a bit more research and curious to know if others have seen this.

What I noticed was that I was running out of TCP connections due to security, and IE8 was stopping but not Chrome.  I ran netstat -ao to see what was running, and found the following:

UDP    cklaptop-0807:1096     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1098     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1103     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1108     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1111     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1115     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1117     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1120     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1124     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1127     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1130     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1134     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1158     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1160     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1169     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1171     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1173     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1175     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1189     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1191     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1193     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1195     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1197     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1199     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1201     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1209     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1211     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1213     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1216     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1220     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1229     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1231     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1233     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1235     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1237     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1441     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1443     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1571     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1573     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1576     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1582     *:*                                    5520
  UDP    cklaptop-0807:1584     *:*                                    5520

Process ID 5520 happens to be ... you guessed it ... HPNetworkCommunicator.exe.  And over time, it just keeps grabbing more ports.  Even with ink levels set to check only when printing.

Does anyone from HP on here know if the 6510 will receive an update soon?  I don't think the drivers posted here will help me.

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.