Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thank you!!!  This worked perfectly.  My tray would not go  all the way in...it was driving me next. Just as I was about to give up, I saw the solutiuon/images you had posted.  I moved the blue legal paper button forward...somehow it had been moved back to allow for legal paper...and the tray slid right in.  Thanks again!!

HP Recommended

I know this is years late, but I had the same issue with my Officejet Pro 8620. I unplugged it and removed that big thing in the rear. Then I put it on its back, not upside down, to check it out. It turns out on the bottom of the paper tray in the front left hand corner, there is the purple "legal" size tab. All I had to do was fool around with that tab and it released whatever part was stuck. I hope it works for you, because nothing else I tried worked for me!

Good luck,

CLB

HP Recommended
I solved the problem of the paper tray not closing after scratching my head for several days. In my case, I had pulled the tray completely out and in doing so had unknowingly pressed the blue button on the inside front edge of the tray accidentally extending the tray. I didn't notice it because I was unaware that the tray could be extended. Thus when I tried to put the tray in it appeared that it wasn't going in all the way. Eventually I figured out the tray was longer than the tray slot which led me to discover the blue button allowing me to collapse the tray to its original size. NHKang
HP Recommended

My daughter and I used your advice and it worked!!! It was just a matter of releasing the blue legal paper thingy. Thank goodness! 

HP Recommended

Replaced paper in tray and tray would not allow re insertion full in printer

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.