Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
All in one 5740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I print from my laptop it's only in grayscale. If I copy, the color is fine. I have tried everything and have had many printers and have never had this issue. I have checked printer properties - everything. There is no where it specifies color/grayscale or black and white. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The color options are available within the Printing Peferences dialog, not under Printer Properties.

Right click the printer icon and select Printing Preferences, within the Paper/Quality set the Color option as 'Color'.

Also press the Advanced button and ensure the 'Print in Grayscale' option is set as 'Off'.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I do not have that option on this. 

Printer Preferences.PNG

Paper Quality/Layout below:

Printer Preferences Layout.PNG

And Advanced Tab:

Printer Preferences Advanced.PNG

HP Recommended

Thanks for the details screenshots.

From the HP Officejet 5740 software open teh Tools tab, then press on HP Pritn and Scan Doctor.

Confirm any prompt and select your printer, then select Fix Printing.

Click on Show Details, may it install any driver update for your printer?

If not, what are the exact results and may you see any difference after completing following the tool?

By right clickihe the printer icon select Printer Properties and select the Advanced tab.

What exact driver name is selected within the Driver drop down?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

So I did the Fix Printer and clean cartridges and it had been cleaning for over an hour. Keep in mind this printer is a month old with new cartridges and will only print grayscale and there is no option for me to change it. I have never had a problem with a printer and have had many printers so I have no idea what's going on.

HP Recommended

Printer Driver Version 17.59.00.6180.

No idea what I did but it's working. I changed the preference to Best.  Maybe this new version when it's on Normal it's Grayscale, Best is color and Draft is black and white. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.