Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to remotely (250 miles away) help my elderly mother get her PhotoSmart 8250 to print a list of 7 names.  She's getting an ink expiration message on the computer.  I've read that it is possible to override this message and continue printing.

Does anyone know the exact procedure/key strokes to override the ink expiration message and allow her to print the list?

It's either that or I have to spend 6 hrs of my life driving to her, so I can fix it for her.  I'd prefer to just talk her through the process on the phone.

Thanks in advance

57 REPLIES 57
HP Recommended

Hi,

I understand your plight and in an effort to avoid you having to drive 6 hours I have spent the last 1½ hours trying to look for a solution.

I have found references in HP documents e.g.

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/articles/inkExpiration.html?cCode=us&jumpid=reg_r1002_use...

On looking through the printer manual I did find the following reference:

Error message: Ink expiration near

Cause

The ink in the indicated ink cartridge(s) is near expiration.

Solution

If the current date is near the expiration date, consider replacing the

ink cartridge(s) to achieve best print quality. You can continue printing by

pressing OK. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of expired ink.

I think this message will come up at every print job request. So she should be able to continue by pressing OK.

Ultimately the expired cartridge needs to be replaced. If she can go ourt to a store and get a new supply this would also save you a 6 hr drive.

I hope that this helps and indeeds works for your situation.

>(I am an HP employee) I am not a expert on all our products, but I'll do my best to help you.
If my answer was helpful please click the Thumbs Up.
If your problem is solved please click the Accept as Solution button so other forum users can use the solution.---->

HP Recommended

Pressing ok does not override the ink expiration issue.

HP Recommended

If it can't be overridden, try replacing the cartridges to make the message go away.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended
Obviously replacing the cartridge makes the message go away. However the cartridge is half full and the date is reported about to expire. The question is why doesn't the hp reported override "press ok" work.
HP Recommended

That is a good question.  It should be working.  I wonder if the printer has just locked up.  Try doing a hard reset to see if that will make it act right.  

To do a hard reset:
1.  Make sure the printer is on.
2.  Pull the power cord from the printer.
3.  Pull the power cord from the wall.
4.  Wait 30 seconds.
5.  Plug the printer in and turn it on.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hard reset didn't work.  Checked other forums and found many others have the same problem with no easy solution, other than tampering with the printer. Don't think it's fair that hp is forcing me to replace a half full cartridge that hasn't even expired yet. My advice on this subject is don't do what I did, which is to buy high capacity cartidge combo packs and high capacity two black cartridge packs.

HP Recommended

I have sent your comments to the right people.  Someone will be in contact with you soon.  They will use the Private Message feature of the forums to contact you.  If you are not sure how to use this feature, please see the following post.  

How To Send A Private Message – Video:
Signature
HP Recommended

I have had the expired message for about a year or so, even when the cartridges were within date. Removing one of the offending catridges and immediatly reinstalling it seems to sort it out.  Trouble is, one of the "expired" cartridges, Magenta, has finally shown as empty and been replaced. I now get both the expired message and cartridge empty as well (for the brand new Magenta). The expired message still shows for the other cartridge.

HP Recommended

Following on from my last post, I have just bought 2 new ink cartridges. I now have the expired cartridge message for only one cartridge, the magenta one. This is annoying enough but having worked around this I am still getting the message that the magenta cartridge is empty. I am beginning to think that printer itself has a fault.

Any suggestions anyone, other than buy a new non HP printer?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.