Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi ndjole,

Check the Mac to make sure there isn't any old software still installed on the 10.9 for the printer.

(CD, Older operating system if you updated to 10.9)

From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD icon.

• Double-click the Library folder.
  • Double-click the Printers folder.
  • Right-click the HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.
  • When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.

Might not have these folders.
  • Double-click the PPDs folder.
  • Double-click the Contents folder.
  • Double-click the Resources folder.
  • Locate your printer in the printer list, and then right-click on your printer and select Move to Trash.
  • When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  • Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

Now add the printer again by the Apple Updates.

Thank You.
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I tried to move the HP folder to the trash as I am having the same issue, then when I emptied the folder, only certain files would delete as it said other were in use... I then went to apple updates, but it said I am updated. I tried to reinstall my printer, but it won't install now because I am missing the software... 

HP Recommended

Hi Ksproll,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are having issues adding the printer back in again since it isn't finding the software.

The Apple updates aren't finding anything new for the printer to add.
I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

If you haven't already please run the verify and repair the disk permissions and the reset of the printing system on the Mac. Steps are provided in same thread.

Make sure the printer is connected by USB to the Mac when running the Apple Updates if you are using the printer by wireless connection. Try the update again.

Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable to see if the update pops up automatically.

I would download and install the Apple drivers if you are still having the same issue.

HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X.

Let me know how this goes for you!

How is the printer connected? (USB/Wireless)

Are you using 10.9?

Have a great day. :generic:
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I received the same message yesterday, 12-9-14.  Have no idea how to correct the problem.  Help!!

HP Recommended

Thank you Gemini for your help in also solveing my problem.

KUDO's

HP Recommended

This was happening to me while trying to print one specific document - all the others were printing fine.

I've found a workaround.

1. Open a standard printing dialogue.

2. Use 'Save as PostScript' option under 'PDF' menu.

3. Open and print a saved PostScript file.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.