Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This is the error we're getting when some people try to print to networked printers installed on a Windows 2008 R2 print server:

PCL XL error
subsystem: kernel
error: IllegalOperatorSequence
operator: beginpage
position: 1217

The "position" line number always changes.

I have done plenty of research and troubleshooting, and this is what I know:

The problem started out of nowhere, but I suspect it was right after Microsoft's patch day September 9th. The printers have been on the network and configured the same way for well over a year. The people who are having the errors were printing perfectly fine for well over a year. No drivers have changed on the server.

All clients are Windows 7. Some can print perfectly fine to the shared printers, others get the error. They are all set up the same way and using the same model computer from an image.

All printers are using the model-specific driver on the print server, and the drive is the most recent version.

Bypassing the print server and setting the printer up directly using an IP port on an affected client fixes the problem.

Changing the driver on the Print Server to the Universal Print Driver instead of the model specific driver also fixes the problem.

I want to know why, out of nowhere, when I didn't change any drivers on the server, suddenly some clients can no longer print while others are fine and both are using the same driver versions. Any thoughts?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @WPS-OIT

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! :smileyhappy:  To get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since you are using a Server, they will be better to assist you. You can do this at

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/

I hope this helps!

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.