Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just replaced catridges for my PHOTOSMART 5520.

After that, the color print has no black color.

All catridges are HP new.

This is very frustrated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

for some unknown reason, this problem is gone when I tried printing 2 weeks later.

To summarize:

I am in USA.

I replaced 4 new catridges bought from HP online.

After that, the black won't print if I choose to print in color.

But if I print in "black and white only", the black is actually working fine.

I tried everything suggested in the web forum such as cleaning, alignment, AC prower cycle, ... etc. It did not fix the problem.

I stop using the printer for 2 weeks. But yesterday, I give it a try agin, then the problem is gone.

I don't know what to say. Thanks to HP for the help.

Overall, the servie is nice - just has to call many times.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow this HP document if the printer doesnt print in black.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03955472

Hope this helps

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

This help is (typical) support message and totally useless.

I bought the all new (4) catridges from HP online.

I tried all of these steps to clean and align the print heads.

I ran out of 50% of the inks just doing that.    😞

But I still cannot proint black.

I know the black catridge is OK because I can print if I choose "black and white" only.

I hope HP support read this message and give real help.

HP Recommended

@Kkenny 

As this is a 5520 I'd advise contacting HP Phone Support, regardless if the printer is out of warranty, as you may require a replacement. Can you please let us know how you get on?

Thanks, Ciara

Phone no.s

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Troubleshooting

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03955472

Updating the FW

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Getting-the-latest-FIRMWARE-amp-PR...

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I bought genuine HP catridges. I have tried all of these steps. Not helping at all.

HP Recommended

I called HP services two times but did not get any useful help and no resolution.

HP Recommended

Hi @Kkenny 

Can I ask which country are you based in?

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

for some unknown reason, this problem is gone when I tried printing 2 weeks later.

To summarize:

I am in USA.

I replaced 4 new catridges bought from HP online.

After that, the black won't print if I choose to print in color.

But if I print in "black and white only", the black is actually working fine.

I tried everything suggested in the web forum such as cleaning, alignment, AC prower cycle, ... etc. It did not fix the problem.

I stop using the printer for 2 weeks. But yesterday, I give it a try agin, then the problem is gone.

I don't know what to say. Thanks to HP for the help.

Overall, the servie is nice - just has to call many times.

HP Recommended

won't print text in any colors but will black density indication only.   All I get is a print of the black color nothing in color or -- text.

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue.  I tried absolutely everything that was posted on line and still could not print black.  I called customer support.  The first time I was disconnected so I tried again and got through.  I spoke to a customer service representative.  Even though I was out of warranty ( Ipurchased this in December 2013), I was referred to a hardware supervisor.  They verified my address and are aware of the problem with these printers.  They are shipping me a new printer for free!!!  This is not a quick process.  I was on the phone for about an hour.  I do have to provide a credit card that they will put a $1 hold on.  They will ship the new printer and I have 15 days to return the old one to them.  As long as they recive my old printer within 15 days they will release the $1 hold on my card.  I should also mention they are not sending me the same printer.  They are sending me a reconditioned HP Envy 5530 as my replacement.  At this time, I am satisfied with the solution.  If I do not get the new printer or encounter any new problems, you will hear from me again!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.