Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

i keep getting CARTRIDGES MISSING OR NOT DETECTED' error message on my photosmart c4580. i have taken out and re set the cartridges, also cleaned them and the printer contacts lovingly with a cotton swab just like the online help advised and i still get the error message. i dont want to buy new cartridges until i definitely know they are empty (i dont really think they are). can anyone help?? thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi - Wish I had better news, but since you've already cleaned both the cartridge and carriage contacts, I'm not aware of anything else you can do, but replace the cartridges.

Sorry about that.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi - Wish I had better news, but since you've already cleaned both the cartridge and carriage contacts, I'm not aware of anything else you can do, but replace the cartridges.

Sorry about that.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

THANKS, WASNT REALLY WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR BUT NEVERMIND! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi! I too have the same problem. I have tried 2 new colour cartridges but still keep getting the same message. I have also cleaned the conections as per the suggestion. Help please!!!

HP Recommended

Hi - Have you followed the steps in this document?  I know you mentioned you'd cleaned the connections, but I wanted to make sure you cleaned both the cartridge and the carriage connections (step 2 in the document).  My assumption is that the error message specifically calls out the color cartridge?  If so, and you've followed all of the steps in the document, unfortunately, I'm not aware of any other options to resolve the issue....  Wish I had better news.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks, but yes I followed all the instructions. Typical isn't it that the printer is just out of warranty!!!!

Thaks anyway.

HP Recommended

Not sure how the status of this post has been set to Solved as you guys clearly still have the same issues as me!  

I too have followed the guidance and cleaned the cartridge and carriage with cotton buds.  I have also bought new colour and b&w cartridges even though the original ones are still more than half full.  I too am not long out of warranty.  Hugely dissappointed and iritated...

HP Recommended

I just resolved this on my HP C4580 - follow the instructions above to get into the support menu and then scroll around the menus until you find the Reset Menu - then select reset language and press OK. The printer will turn off and then you switch it back on and then reselect your preferred language and select ok - the printer then recalibrates and takes you through the printer alignment and scanning of the printed alignment page like it did when you first switched it on.

Good luck - this has been a very very frustrating issue and HP can do better !

HP Recommended

How can I get into support menu and find the Reset Menu?

HP Recommended

I've followed every piece of advice available on the internet to resolve this problem and the only thing that worked was to replace the colour cartridge. This is very frustrating and expensive and I'm a little angry that HP seem to be very silent on the issue. 

My advice would be to buy the new ink and persevere until such time as you can afford to replace your printer - And then buy a Brother. Brother printer ink cartridges can be as low as £1.99
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.