Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Officejet Pro 8500A jams whenever it's printing in the duplex mode.  Single, one-sided prints do not jam.  How can I fix this problem?  I checked for bits of paper and broken rollers.  Everything appears to be in order.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Hi,

Clear the jam from the rear of the printer
CAUTION:Never pull jammed paper from the front of the printer. If you can pull it from the rear of the printer or the tray, always try the rear first. Pulling paper from inside the front cover can cause mechanical damage to the printer.

Press the Power button to turn off the printer.
Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Turn the printer around so that you can access the rear side.
Push in the button on either side of the two-sided printing accessory (duplexer), and then remove the duplexer.
NOTE:Your printer may look slightly different than the one pictured, but the steps are the same.
Figure 1: Remove the duplexer
Image: Remove the duplexer.
1 - Press the buttons on the sides of the duplexer
2 - Pull the duplexer out of printer
Gently remove any jammed paper or bits of torn paper from the rollers inside the printer. Use both hands to pull any whole sheets of paper to avoid tearing them.
Figure 2: Gently remove the jammed paper
Image: Remove the jammed paper.
CAUTION:Use a flashlight to thoroughly check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the printer, more jams are likely to occur.
Figure 3: Remove scraps of paper
Image: Remove scraps of paper.

Step three: Check the duplexer

If you do not see jammed paper in the rear access area, push the buttons on the latch on the rear of the duplexer, and then lower the cover.
Figure 4: Open the duplexer
Image: Open the duplexer
1 - Latch on rear of the duplexer
2 - Duplexer cover
Remove any jammed paper from inside the duplexer.
Close the duplexer cover.
Gently push the duplexer into the printer until it snaps firmly into place. Do not press the buttons on the end of the accessory while you reattach it.
Figure 5: Reattach the duplexer
Image: Reattach the duplexer.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
NOTE:The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash and the carriage might move. Wait until the warm-up period finishes before you proceed.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.
If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.
HP Recommended

Hi SWaldman,

Try this from Youtube on the paper jam clearance. Watch out the steps to remove paper jam (Can be found @ this time: 1min 47 sec) inside the duplexer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqWrtJ7N0BA

Hi, I am a HP employee. I am speaking for myself.
HP Recommended

I've gone through the steps you designated to clear debris from the printer.  Once I select "duplex" it prints side one perfectly.    As it draws the paper back in to print side two, it crinkles the paper and jams.   Is there something else I haven't done?

HP Recommended

I understand when duplexing the paper crinkles and jams.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet.

I have included a url for paper jam fixes.

Since the printer will print one page I would start at Solution four: Clean the rollers.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02142414&jumpi...

If you have any further issues please let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.