Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5640
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hi,

New printer, has paper, copying etc works fine directly on the printer but unable to print successfully from the computer which displays "Paper tray is empty." (this is not on the control panel of the printer which is fine).

Printing is sporadic, occasionally prints a page and some times a blank page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is now resolved. Contacted support and, after going through the above steps again, they talked me through a hidden service menu to do what was labeled as a Semi-Full Reset (anyone else think that the developers ran out of things to call the various resets?). This fixed what appears to have been some sort of firmware issue and all is well with the printer.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @JohnP7,

I understand your HP ENVY 5640 is displaying a "Paper tray is empty" error message, and you are experiencing some print quality issues with blank pages printing. I will be happy to help.

Below, I have posted a link to a document that offers some troubleshooting solutions to this issue. Please try out all of the steps, in order and get back to me with the results. 

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but as I originally stated, I am not talking about the display on the printer, 'Paper tray is empty' displays on the computer so your first link doesn't apply.

Also the printing is not poor quality so the second link does not apply.

My issue is that 'Paper tray is empty' appears on the computer NOT on the display panel and printing does not complete or a blank page is printed.

HP Recommended

Hi @JohnP7,

If the issue is only present on the computer you are printing from then I recommend you try uninstalling, then reinstalling the printer software.

HP Printers - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Software and driver results - HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer

If you are still experiencing the issue after reinstalling the software then I recommend you contact HP for further assistance.

Contact HP:
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear 

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you Marcelus but as you can see from the title of the post I am using a Mac so 'HP Printers - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)' is not much use.

For anyone else trying to re-install drivers on a Mac, all HPs support material says run the uninstaller under /Applications/Hewlett-Packard but there is no uninstaller, at least on my system.

I removed the printers from the system pane then deleted :

/Applications/Hewlett-Packard

/Applications/Utilities/HP Utility

/Library/Printers/hp

emptied the trash and restarted which seemed to do the job. Unfortunately after reinstalling the drivers I get the same error.

HP Recommended

This is now resolved. Contacted support and, after going through the above steps again, they talked me through a hidden service menu to do what was labeled as a Semi-Full Reset (anyone else think that the developers ran out of things to call the various resets?). This fixed what appears to have been some sort of firmware issue and all is well with the printer.

HP Recommended

How do we find this "hidden service menu"? I'm getting the same Empty Tray message on the Mac printer page even though it looks fine on the printer and the printer prints alignment and sample page fine.

HP Recommended

How do I find that hidden menu for my HP Envy 5660 which on the device keeps giving the message of "paper tray empty"

in error and will copy but not print from the computer wifi? 

HP Recommended

"paper tray is empty" appears on OSX. What is the secret fix?

HP Recommended

With people still asking about the fix for this, anyone know how we get someone at HP to reply and help us out?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.