Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I cant remember and I suspect that the service menu contains options for bricking the printer so HP probably don't want it out in the wild. Anyone needing to do this probably needs to bite the bullet and contact support directly.

HP Recommended

I found that if I added a new instance of the printer in System Preferences that I could print using it.  It still says "Paper tray empty" but it allows me to print.

HP Recommended

Try this 

from the home screen of the printer where is says copy , scan , apps 

tap the bottom left corner of the screen for 5 times  where the back arrow normaly is located

then on the screen it should say " support menu "

then on the screen again you will see an arrow  going left and right 

press the right arrow til you see resets menu

hit ok 

press the right arrow again til you see semi-full reset 

HP Recommended

I tried this didn't work. Actually tried with a semi full reset and partial reset. Still say printer try empty, but it will print the calibration page.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

"From the Home screen of the printer"  Please what is ment here?: Homepage of the printer? which is accessed by entering the IP into zhe browser of the computer or  the menu of printers display?

Thank u

HP Recommended

Enzo, you tap the bottom left side of the little screen on the front of the printer. What I saw was a bit different from what is described here (I have an Envy 5640) but I did get to the option of a partial reset. Sadly, it went through the whole process including printing a recalibrating sheet, but I am still getting the same "paper tray empty"  message, so still can't print from my computer. I am really feeling desperate about this. I am using a Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4.

HP Recommended

Please could you explain this a bit more precisely?On my Mac I can go in to Preferences and choose "printers & scanners", then get to my HP 5640. If I click on the + sign it asks me for Name, Location and Use. I don't know what to say. And I don't know how to print from this page if I do manage to add my printer in again. Help!

HP Recommended

Thomas, I already posted this message in reply to your post, but it was printed later on in the discussion, so I'm repeating it here:  Please could you explain this a bit more precisely?On my Mac I can go in to Preferences and choose "printers & scanners", then get to my HP 5640. If I click on the + sign it asks me for Name, Location and Use. I don't know what to say. And I don't know how to print from this page if I do manage to add my printer in again. Help!

HP Recommended

I uninstalled and re-installed the printer software with resulting complete success. I can now print and scan wirelessly using my Mac + Envy printer. (But what a miserable waste of a whole morning!)   I am very grateful to all the people who posted this problem and their solutions. Much less so to HP, who seem to havae abandoned us to our misery. Very best wishes to those who are still struggling.

HP Recommended

I just have a guess now:

The message "paper tray is empty" in the interface of the computer:

What does this message tell us:

1) The normal tray (writing paper) is empty?

2) Photo paper tray is empty?

3) At least one of the two trays is empty?

who knows?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.