Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
PhotoSmart 7525
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I've had the PhotoSmart 7525 for a 1.5 years, no problems that I was aware until today.  I installed all new cartridges - all 5 colors.  The black simply did not print.  I cleaned and aligned the cartridges.  I put a second new black cartridge in.  I (finally) looked in the resting location and discovered the whole area covered with fresh black ink.  I saw no evidence of any other color.  There was no ink elsewhere inside the printer.  I think I can get it cleaned up, but any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would suggest the troubleshooting steps in the document I linked above. Be sure to check the vents.  If clearing the vents does not resolve the issue then soaking the printhead may resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The  area that appears to have black ink is the service station, where ink from all the colors are "spit" to keep the nozzles clear.  It is normal for there to be black-looking ink in this area, and it is not necessary (or desirable) to clean this area.  While the ink in this area appears black it is actually a combination of black and color inks. 

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Photosmart 7525 printer.  Be sure to go through all the steps in order.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I actually wouldn't be concerned about ink in that spot and wouldn't have even been looking except that the black isn't printing, even after replacing it twice.

HP Recommended

I would suggest the troubleshooting steps in the document I linked above. Be sure to check the vents.  If clearing the vents does not resolve the issue then soaking the printhead may resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob,  I thought I had looked all the way through the troubleshooting.  Apparently I didn't!  I had to go through the entire soaking process.  Initially when I re-installed the printhead it didn't work.  I had to leave it, turned off, for a couple of hours.  Now it seems to be working great!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.