Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
One year and two weeks after I bought it (that two weeks out of warranty!) the lower right quarter of the touch screen on my Photosmart 5510 does not respond to touch. Thus anything that requires use of the screen such as copy and scan cannot be done (two weeks out of warranty!). The printer is little used. Everything else works fine (eg WiFi printing). Is there a potential solution or is this the result of poor quality (anyone else have this problem?)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Here is the solution! (I am the original poster). Download the hp all-in-one remote app to your smart phone/ tablet. This allows you to do all the important things that you should be able to do on the printer touch screen. I also had a problem when I changed WiFi router as you normally have to use the touchscreen to enter the new password. But you can do this via a USB cable to a PC . PS I agree there is a batch issue (loads of people have the touch screen problem) but hp do not want to know!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello,

You could be having a hardware issue, which the only way to resolve is to replace the unit. 

I would suggest doing a hard reset on the printer, and if that doesn't resolve the issue call HP@8004746836.

Hard Reset:

Take out the toner/cartridges

Unplug the power cord from the printer and wall

Wait 30 sec

Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall (Make sure the printer is plugged into the wall and not a surge protector)

Insert the toner/cartridges back into the printer

Let me know the outcome

HP Recommended
I have had the same issue as dadredge and used your hard reset suggestion but it has made no difference. Our warranty has just expired too (the printer is 14 months old)!
HP Recommended
I have the same problem bought this end of July 2012 so guarantee expired now. Right hand side of touch screen is not working. Tried taking cartridges out and switching off still not working. Seems like it might have been a fault with this batch of printers.
HP Recommended
Here is the solution! (I am the original poster). Download the hp all-in-one remote app to your smart phone/ tablet. This allows you to do all the important things that you should be able to do on the printer touch screen. I also had a problem when I changed WiFi router as you normally have to use the touchscreen to enter the new password. But you can do this via a USB cable to a PC . PS I agree there is a batch issue (loads of people have the touch screen problem) but hp do not want to know!
HP Recommended
Brilliant now have app on phone and printer now working. Thanks
HP Recommended

Hi,

This appears to be a very common fault.

I hope HP QA are aware of this. 

A firmware patch moving the position of the [OK] button would make this printer usable for another few years.

Could HP Firmware engineers please use a variable position of the button, to prevent overuse of the cheap pushscreen?

Basically if the buttons could appear in Top Left, Top Right, Mid Left, Mid Right, Bottom Left, Bottom Right with text being in a readable position then the printers would last longer and more brand loyalty would be achieved. 

I'm think carefully about which brand of printer I purchase next.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.