Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem which is HIGHLY annoying.  Plus my printer and/or HP computer will not recognize that the magenta is full -- even with a new cartridge it gives me a message that it needs magenta and i get the "want to print in black only" screen? 

Sooooo was going to pay to ask support tech what to do but I can tell from your replies support tech will tell me to get a new printer -- this printer is only three years old and only has family type homework printout type use -- IF I had to replace it I wouldn't with HP either, because there should be a fix with this. 

The "turn on by using power button" error message sounds like a glitch -- and it's something HP should fix! 

Well....maybe I'm a little happier knowing I'm not the only person trying to wrestle with this problem....but I'm not happy with HP.

In the past when it was in warranty I did have some minor problem and HP was HUGELY HELPFUL!  It's disappointing to hear there isn't an HP solution for this.  Bleah

HP Recommended

thank you that information was very helpful -- i don't know how to do that -- but THANK you!

HP Recommended

well IF I have to buy a different printer, it will be a different brand, and if I have to do that, then I'm done with HP EVERYTHING.....this is silly and ridiculous....fraudulent even that they can't or won't fix this. 

bleah....and i used to love HP...*#&(@*@!!!!!

HP Recommended

Unbelievable!  A 13 cent solution!

I want to confirm the fix on my C5180.  I had a Teapo 330uF cap in position C228 of the system board.  The cap on it was slightly domed.....replaceing it fixed the problem as mentioned above. 

Access the sytem board by removing the right panel of the C5180.  To do this remove the black screw on the rear and the

other black screw that you can access in the lower right corner of the gray plastic surface that you see when you open the cartridge access lid.  The screws are Torx.  Also you will need to get a screwdrive blade to open the plasic clip that holds the right side on that you see when the cartridge access door is open.  The right side will then hinge down and come off. 

The board that you now see is held on by 5 more Torx screws.  Removing those screws allows you to access the capacitor on the back side of the board.  I replaced the cap without unplugging all the cables to the board....You probably should exercise some ESD care in handling the board.....

Yes, the replacement capacitor set me back 13 cents once I found it...... A 330uF electrolytic with a working voltage of 10 volts.  Make sure and install the capacitor in the same orientation as the one you remove....the stripe on the can indicates the positive side....

HP Recommended

Useful additional tips for accessing the system board.

I would like to add that it's no big deal to disconnect the board completely: the layout is straightforward, and none of the connectors require excessive force to disconnect or reconnect. No two connectors are the same, so there's no risk of a mix-up. When soldering I find it easier to manipulate just a small board instead of the rather heavy printer...

As I described in my previous post I used a 16Volt replacement cap. I figured the 10Volt caps failed for a reason, and the 16Volt caps may just be able to withstand the operating load a little better. The dimensions are exactly the same, so better safe than sorry.

All in all a surprisingly easy (not to mention satisfying!) operation. I can't understand HP doesn't reach out to its customers pro-actively. Costs are next to nothing, and the boost in costumer satisfaction and corporate image is impossible to overstate.

HP Recommended

Hi,

with my german version of the Photosmart I had the same problem of reboots. Replacing the green capacitor was the solution. Doing a reset only (Ok+Help during power up) did not work.

Solved, now the printer works fine! Thank you for the detailed description - and my experience with the soldering iron.

Thank you

Tino

HP Recommended

I currently have a Photosmart C7200 all-in-one and it is doing the same thing.  Would that part work in my printer?  If so, I will try it.  I too did not use this printer much and it is a shame to throw it away for a small part.

HP Recommended

Well, the thing to look for is bulging caps. Replace them and tell us what happens.

HP Recommended

i am having the same problem and  from what I understand my printer is a goner!!! I AM UPSET & DISAPPOINTED IN THE SERVICE THAT I   HAVE RECEIVED FROM HP!!!  The technical support team I spoke with were the rudest I have every experienced.  The jerk had the nerve to give me his address and tell me to come to CA to come see him.  I will not tolerate this, and will make sure that this is pushed as far as I possibly can.  I bought this equipment three years ago !!!thinking that it would last.  I don't use the printer often, and I expected it to work better than it has.  I refused to buy another piece of HP equipment as long as I live.  I understand that equipment has problems, and I would be ok if HP was willing to help.  The problem I have is that they aren't willing to help.  I AM DONE WITH HP AND WILL MAKE IT MY BUSINESS TO INFORM ANYONE AND EVERYONE OF THEIR POOR SERVICE!!!!

HP SUCKS.... DON'T BUY EQUIPMENT FROM THEM

HP Recommended

What are bulding caps and where can I get them from?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.