Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have had the Photosmart C6180 wirelessly connected to a Mac OS X 10.5.6 Intel Macbook and PC XP SP 2 IBM laptop for over 2 years.  I haven't had any significant problems with the printer.

Recently I experienced a couple of electrical brown-outs in my home.  Since then the printer has turned off a couple of times at random.  Today the printer started turning off/on/off/on/off/on etc.

It powers up and displays the HP logo and process bar animation for about one minute, followed by the message: "Improper Shutdown.  To avoid damage use the ON button to shut down the printer.  Do not use a power strip or wall switch to shut down.  Press OK".  Then it shuts down and starts back up again.

I've tried to get into Mfg Commands mode by holding the * and # keys.  It flashes "Mfg Commands - Enter Special Key Combo" for a second of two, then shuts down and loops on/off/on/off again and again.

I've unplugged all data cables, moved the printer to another room, shut down the wifi on both computers, and plugged it in directly to the wall on a different circuit to eliminate any low-power issues as the culprit.  I've swapped the power cord between the wall and the AC adapter brick with the same exact type of cord from a different piece of equipment with the same results. 

I'm wondering if this is a symptom of a damaged logic board in the printer, or an issue with the AC power adaptor?  

If it's the logic board, does it pay to have it repaired?  An equivalent printer for the Mac would cost around $200.  Not to mention I just happened to have stocked up on cartridges.

Or is it a likely indication of an AC adaptor brick problem?  If so, should I spring for a replacement AC adaptor brick for around $30?

I haven't been able to find this issue in any forum post and wondering if this is "Goodbye" to the C6180?

Thanks for your help with this issue 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try this:

1. While the printer is still turned on, unplug all cables and cords at the back of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord also from the wall outlet...

3. Wait for two minutes.

4. Reconnect power cord to the wall outlet first.

5. Press and hold the pound (#) and six (6) buttons.

6. While holding down the two buttons, reconnect the power cord to the back of the printer and after two seconds, release pound and six buttons.

7. Turn on the printer if it turns off...

Let me know for the results.

Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108
HP Recommended

I'm having this identical problem have you received a fix yet?  I have tried many things and nothing seems to work.

llvgolfness@msn.com

HP Recommended

Try this:

1. While the printer is still turned on, unplug all cables and cords at the back of the printer.

3. Wait for two minutes.

6. While holding down the two buttons, reconnect the power cord to the back of the printer and after two seconds, release pound and six buttons.

Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
HP Recommended

HOO HA!.... it worked very successfully and I'm back to printing.  Thank You for your fast and accurate response.

Topper

HP Recommended

Smartfriend,

I used your instructions and got the printer to turn off.  I turned it back on, and after a couple of on/off cycles got it back to the standby screen.  I tried to initialize the Wifi radio and it started cycling on/off/on off again.

Any thoughts on what I might do differently from here?

Thanks for your help thus far.  I'm glad it works for Topper.

Thanks again.

Jor 

HP Recommended
I have this same problem and the above solution seemed to work at first but whenever I try to link to my wireless network, it starts powering off/on again. It sounds like that is what is happening for Jor as well. Any other ideas??
HP Recommended
Duuuuude! That totally worked. You saved me.
HP Recommended

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with my HP C6180. I received error message on display screen saying that printer should be switched off at on/off button and not at power strip or plug socket. The display screen kept showing setting up and would cycle on and off.

Followed instruction of holding buttons # and 6 on panel and this seemed to work.  It has now started to do this again only this time there is no message showing and it keeps cycling through the start sequence on and off.

I've followed all other instructions for unplugging, moving etc etc but am no further forward.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

HP Recommended

I have use your steps and while they appeared to work, including copying, faxing but when I go to print on the wireless network(Wi FI) it shuts my printer down and starts it starts all over again. Any further options. I have connected the printer via a USB cable and all functions work, including the HP software for faxing scanning and copies. 

Try this:

3. Wait for two minutes.

HP Recommended

I've been having the same problem (including the brownouts) as the original poster of this thread. I've tried the key combinations of OK / Cancel / Black / Color and # and 6 while powering up and they didn't do anything at all. 

I read in another thread to unplug the printer, plug it back in while holding # and 3, hold for 2 seconds and then release. It worked! This after the printer has not printed for over a week and with me trying many, many solutions!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.