Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Uh, while I really appreciate your quick reply, you might check the link you provide before providing it. I specifically asked about Win7, and that's one operating system NOT listed for this printer on that site. I'd already tried that.

I've concluded that HP no longer supports this completely usable, useful printer - a conclusion I got from HP website - leaving me no option but to conclude that HP is committed to 'planned obsolescence', filling their profit sheet, and our landfills with toxic materials that still have a useable life, rather than being a responsible corporate entity.

HP Recommended

Hi Studiooffice,

Yes this thread has a solution which is on Message 11.

Note: Click on #11 to go directly to the solution.

If you are unable to run the updates from the Add printer screen then this is an indication of an issue within the operating system. Make sure you have all Windows updates applied, and then try the solution on Message 11 again.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I am having the same trouble with the P1000 drivers,  have followed the instructions below and can now get the printer to pull a page through, but it doesn't print.  I can do a test page from the printer itself, but can't get one from the control panel or print word docs - HELP!!

HP Recommended

Hi technophobe77,

Follow the instructions below.

1. Plug the printer into the computer

2. Open Devices and printers

3. Click on Add a printer

4. Change the port from LPT1 to USB port

5. Click the Windows Update button (Refer to screenshot below)

6. Click on HP, and then Chose HP Deskjet 990c driver (Refer to screenshot below)

7. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing the printer using the 990c driver.

990c.jpg

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi PCWIzard,

I have tried to install the Deskjet 990c drivers as per your instructions, but my printer still refuses to work.  I can still get it to pull a page through when in word, but it doesn't print anything....

...is there anything else I can try?

Many thanks Technophobe77

HP Recommended

Hi Technophobe77,

What happens when you try to print a self test from the printer control panel?

Have you tried using this printer on a different computer to verify the hardware is working properly?

Print a self-test report

1. Press the Power button to turn the product on.
  2. Press the Tools button repeatedly until the display asks if you want to print a test page.
  3. Press Ok .
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Hi, no problem getting a test page from the printer itself, and the printer works fine on our desktop pc, but that is as old as the printer, so not on Windows 7..... really don't want to have to buy another printer when this one works fine.

is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again
HP Recommended

Hi technophobe77

The only other possible work around would be to try downloading the XP driver software package, and then Run it in compatibility mode. Refer to the steps below, and let me know what you find out?

1. First you’ll want to download the latest printing solution for Windows XP.  Tthe filename of the download should be 3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe.

2. Run the download to extract the files, and then click cancel on the installation screen when it appears.

3. Open the Photosmart folder which should be extracted to C:\temp\photosmart, and then right click on the setup.exe file, selecting “Properties”.

4. Click on the Compatibility tab, check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” checkbox and select “Windows XP (Service Pack 3).  Click OK and run that file.

Note: You may get a few error box windows and you may have to click on the “Skip” button when it asks you to power on your printer or connect the USB cord but it should install the driver and the printer solution software.

Untitled.jpg

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Successfully loaded driver for HP 990c as per instructions above.  Unfortunately this driver does not work for me on Windows 7.  I can only conclude that the 'solution' put forward is not really a solution.  This thread needs to stay open until a real solution emerges.

HP Recommended

Hi izhughes

I checked the website and the only drivers available are for Winxp and WinMe, Win2000 and Win95.

You can try the Deskjet 9800 which is a generic driver and that works with the Win 7 operating system.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.