11-10-2009 04:34 PM
I have an Officejet 6500n. After a while the power light blinks & the network light goes off. I presume this is some sort of sleep mode and not a problem. The instruction manual says:
Power: Turns the device on or off. The Power button is lit when the device is on. The light blinks while performing a job.
But the printer is clearly not doing anything. I'd like to know 2 things:
1. Is this normal & not some sort of error condition?
2. Is there a way to configure the printer so that the light does not blink in this situation? I find it very distracting because I see it in my peripheral vision. If it's actually printing something as the instructions say, I can live with it blinking because it's time limited.
12-03-2009 05:34 PM
Were you able to resolve the issue with the blinking light? My 6500a does the same thing. I wonder if all 6500's have this same problem? I wonder if all 6500's have this same problem? When I emailed tech support, they had me run some tests, and decided it was hardware failure. They've been promising me for over a month that someone would contact me about replacing the printer "very soon". I'm so fed up!
12-04-2009 12:14 AM
Blinking power lights indicate that the printer is busy. It may do this when aligning or printing.
If this does not stop, it may indicate the printer is in an error state.
1) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet and the back of the machine.
2) If still not resolved try a semi NVM reset ****ONLY ONCE**** [Please be advised! Preforming these steps will set back to factory defaults...] with the printer on, remove all ink cartridges and printheads.... Disconnect the powercord from the back of the printer. Then with the printer unplugged. Press and hold # 6 on the front of the unit then plug the printer back in while holding those down. You must keep hold those buttons down for a minimum of 10 seconds... If correctly completed, it should ask you to select a language and country.
01-06-2010 10:06 AM
I thought that was normal. It's a very slow (long interval between blinks) when it goes into kind of a sleep mode. I believe this is the machine telling us it's sleeping but the power is on.
My bigger problem with the 6500 is it's inability to accept genuine, brand new HP 920 and 920 XL ink cartridges. The machine says "they're damaged.." etc. After I go through manually cleaning the little "window" on the catridge (that cloudy, dark piece of plastic above the sensors) it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. HP says they've never heard of this. It's a real pain...anybody else had this problem?
03-07-2010 02:39 PM
I just bought the HP Officejet 6500 and the blinking light is driving me crazy. It appears the blinking light is telling you it is in sleep mode. I don't need a blinking light to tell me my printer is trying to save electricity by going into sleep mode. This may be a long shot but did anyone figure out a way to stop the blinking light?
05-31-2010 02:02 PM
Bought HP Officejet 6500 wireless and set it up yesterday. Very easy setup instructions on CD software. I, too, experienced the "auto answer" light going off along with the "quality" light and the "power button" light blinking. Called the store support where I got the printer; called HP support (India): along with going back to the store where I purchased and another competitor to consult with this issue. I even talked with the "Geek Squad". Since I had the product one day, I wanted to be sure if this is "normal" before returning. On the 6500, these lights will go out and power light blinks as it goes into the energy/sleep mode. All lights will come on whenever it is queued for a project....printing, scanning, incoming fax, etc. The buttons "wake up". You can check through the HP Solution Center on your computer to see your "auto answer" is checked..this is the default for this printer. HP should consider including this information in their manuals enclosed in the box. Hope this helps everyone with these issues.
09-03-2010 03:57 PM
Just purchased OJ6500 at Office Max. Set up was straight forward. I was replacing an older HP almost all in one. After several minutes the power light goes off and begins blinking, one blink every three seconds. As far as I can tell everthing is functioning properly but the manual says the following in refernce to the power light " Power: Turns the device on or off. The Power button is lit when the device is on. The light blinks while performing a job.
When the device is turned off, a minimal amount of power is still supplied. To completely disconnect the power supply, turn the device off, and then unplug the power cord." So what process is happening, or does this indicate some sort of sleep mode.
This is extremely annoying.
09-24-2010 03:36 AM
There are 2 modes of "blinking" power LED. The faster one indicates that the printer is busy, i.e. receiving data for a print job or performing a task. The slower blinking indicates that the printer is in sleep mode. Just like about every laptop that has the power button blinking (or breathing as Apple calls it) when the device is in standby.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
- Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10
- Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)