Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart C4280 running on Windows XP.  Every time I try to print, I get the message "Print Cartridge Missing or not Detected"...it appears to be the tri-color cartridge causing the issue.  I have taken both cartridges out and then put them back in, I have turned off the printer and then turned it back on....the only thing that seems to work is to go into my HP Solution Center, select my printer, select Settings, select Printer Toolbox, select Device Services and finally select Print a Diagnostic Page.  Then, and only then will the printer print my document--then it prints a diagnostic page.  I have to do this every time I want to print something...any suggestions??  I am wasting ink and paper...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Loggin

Are you using Genuine HP ink cartridges? The article below covers cartridge problems for the Photosmart C4280. Have you recently moved to another country? Sometimes new regions have different ink cartridges.

'Incompatible Cartridge' or 'Print cartridge is missing, incorrectly installed, or not intended for ...

Have you tried a new HP ink cartridge yet? That way you can isolate the issue.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hello g-d-w

Please try the following article. It may help resolve your problem.

Print Cartridge is Missing

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended
Thanks, Travis. I had read this article...I am just being lazy and was looking for a quick solution. Guess I will try cleaning the cartridge and the contact points next.
HP Recommended

Hello g-d-w

I am curious if you ever got your problem resolved and if so how.

-Travis

HP Recommended

Travis

We recently purchased an I-Mac and during the transition, the printer was unplugged for about 20 minutes.  When I re-connected it, everything seemed to work just fine.  Guess I was in too much of a hurry when I turned it off and on before contacting y'all.   Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

I had the message and replaced the cartridge and have tried all the resolutions (apart from the DI water treatment) with no success (many times)

How can I tell if the jets are blocked?

HP Recommended

Hello coeeyore

What is your printer model as some things in the article above might differ from model to model. Also are you using HP Ink? Also if you could provide a short summary of some things you have already tried.

-Travis

HP Recommended

C5150 and all HP inks. tried the reboot routine with and without cartridges inserted (added cartiridges after the request). Every time it comes back the same result for the new Yellow cartridge = please insert a new ...  

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with my c4280 printer. I get the above message and when i have unplugged everything the last couple times that doesn't correct my problem. 

HP Recommended

Hello Loggin

Are you using Genuine HP ink cartridges? The article below covers cartridge problems for the Photosmart C4280. Have you recently moved to another country? Sometimes new regions have different ink cartridges.

'Incompatible Cartridge' or 'Print cartridge is missing, incorrectly installed, or not intended for ...

Have you tried a new HP ink cartridge yet? That way you can isolate the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.