08-20-2014 05:31 PM
My partner (without my knowledge) installed some 'reconditioned' ink cartridges onto our HP Photosmart C4585 printer. They work well enough but the quality of printing dropped as a result.
I purchased new HP cartridges and removed the 'reconditioned' ones. I cleaned the contacts on the cartridge bay and generally made sure that the inside of the printer seemed clean.
Unfortunately, I get a response that the Cartridges are missing or not detected. I had actually bought the double packs of the cartridges and was able to try this with two complete new sets of HP cartridges bought from the HP site. I still get the 'missing or not detected' error with both sets of new HP cartridges.
When I put the 'reconditioned' ink cartridges back into the printer, they were accepted just fine, went through re-alignment process and print happily... but in bad quality.
I would like very much to get back to using my proper HP cartridges. I tried the semi-full reset from the service menu and checked reported ink level values in there (3000%)... but nothing seems to have helped so far. Is there a way that I can somehow get back to the HP cartridges working in the printer?
08-21-2014 05:55 PM
Welcome to the HP Forums!
I understand after installing brand new Genuine HP ink cartridges, you're receiving a message stating "Ink Cartridges are missing or not detected". I will do my best to assist you!
Please make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector. I just want to see if this makes a difference. Try these steps:
1. Remove all ink cartridges from the printer, then close the door
2. Remove the power cord from the printer (Do not press the power button)
3. Wait 60 seconds or more, then plug the power cord back in
4. Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges
5. Try to perform an alignment
If you're receiving the same issue, then you will have to contact HP technical support for further assistance. Click here to find out: HP Worldwide Contact. Good luck.
- Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10
- Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)