Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 7520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC recently updated itself to Windows 10.  I am now having an issue with printer assistant. 

Previously I got the status screen, ink levels, scan document, check printer heads, etc. 

Now all I get is a printer setup screen which has 3 options

- connect a new printer,

- convert a USB printer to wireless, and

- add new software.  

How do I get the correct printer assistant screen to run? 

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @AJA3,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your HP Printer Assistant issue.

I understand that you are using an HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer with a Computer that recently updated itself to Windows 10 and now, when you click the printer icon to open the HP Printer Assistant you get the "connect a new printer' window. I would like to help with that.

It is not that the HP Printer Assistant isn't working but probably the network printer likely needs to be reinstalled.

I would start by uninstalling all printer related software that was installed before the upgrade to Windows 10. Here is a support document that can help if needed - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows).

If you get prompted to restart the computer during the uninstall, go ahead and do the restart. If not restart the computer when the uninstall finishes.

Once the computer is ready, try using the HP Printer Install Wizard for the installation. This tool will find the most recent version of the printer's software and help with the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @AJA3,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your HP Printer Assistant issue.

I understand that you are using an HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer with a Computer that recently updated itself to Windows 10 and now, when you click the printer icon to open the HP Printer Assistant you get the "connect a new printer' window. I would like to help with that.

It is not that the HP Printer Assistant isn't working but probably the network printer likely needs to be reinstalled.

I would start by uninstalling all printer related software that was installed before the upgrade to Windows 10. Here is a support document that can help if needed - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows).

If you get prompted to restart the computer during the uninstall, go ahead and do the restart. If not restart the computer when the uninstall finishes.

Once the computer is ready, try using the HP Printer Install Wizard for the installation. This tool will find the most recent version of the printer's software and help with the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you.  That seems to have solved the problem 

HP Recommended

Hi @AJA3,

No Problem. Glad to hear it is working again!

Thanks! 🙂

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

After HP technical support essentially said this was not an HP problem but a Microsoft problem, I spent several hours with Microsoft technical myphonesupport.  I had already discovered that uninstalling and reinstalling the HP software using the window in the control panel did not help.  The Microsoft man eventually used Revo Uninstaller to remove the HP software; this apparently does major cleaning up of the registry, something the Microsoft uninstaller does not.   Then he reinstalled the HP software, and lo and behold, printer assistant worked and I could enable scan to computer!

Others who had this problem might like to  try this.  You can download and use Revo Uninstaller for 29 days without charge.

Ken

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.