Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am able to print, scan, copy and fax on my HP Envy 7640 printer just fine.  However, when I click on the HP Envy 7640 icon to get the Printer Assistant just to check my ink level, for example, I get a script error.

An error has occurred in the script on this page

Line: 42

Char: 17

Error:  Unable to get property 'UDCString_UDCName' of undefined or null reference

Code: 0

URL: file:///C:/Program%20Files/hp/HP%20ENVY%207640%20series/Bin/HPSPProgress.hta

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?  YES    NO

Before I can even click on YES or NO, the screen changes and shows the following. There is a yellow triangle with an exclamation point next to this error:

HP Printer Assistant

C:\Program Files\hp\HP ENVY 7640 series\Bin\UDC_files/UDC_Main.json

C:\Program Files\hp\HP ENVY 7640 series\Bin\UDC_files/tasks.json

C:\Program Files\hp\HP ENVY 7640 series\Bin\UDC_files/url.json

C:\Program Files\hp\HP ENVY 7640 series\Bin\UDC_files/localize_1033.json

When I click on OK I get:

HP Printer Assistant

Stop running this script?

A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive.

I connect to the Internet via LAN.  My printer is connected to my pc by USB.  I do not use wireless.

I have not made any software or driver changes.

I have read through many solutions in this forum and have tried several.  I disabled my firewall and anti-virus first.  None of them have worked. I've tried the SCLiteFix_299026.exe, the missing hsa files fix.  Didn't work.  When I try to uninstall the printer and reinstall, I can't do that either.  I get errors 2502 and 2503.

I just want my Printer Assistant to work and have been unable to find a solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Maybe not all these steps were necessary, but here's what I did and it worked!!:

1)  Opened HP Support Assistant icon on desktop.  It's a white question mark in a blue circle.

2)  HP Support Assistant should show all your HP devices.  Find your printer and click on UPDATES.  (Mine did not have any updates pending, but I clicked on UPDATES anyway)

3)  Click on Diagnostics and Tools

4)  Click on HP Print and Scan Doctor.  Select your printer and hit NEXT

5)  You will get FIX PRINTING and FIX SCANNING.  I selected FIX SCANNING

6)  When it finished, a screen opens and says "If you are still experiencing problems with your product, here are some additional support options".   I physically removed the printer cable from the USB port and selected "UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL with the latest software".  I didn't expect it to work, but it did.  

7)  I rebooted.  When my pc came up, I didn't start any other programs or applications.  I disabled the firewall and anti-virus software temporarily.

😎  I re-inserted the printer cable into a USB port

9)  I opened the HP Envy 7640 installation disk and right clicked on the file:  E7640x64.msi.  I clicked on Install

10)  The software installed without error.  I then went to my desktop, clicked on the HP ENVY 7640 Series icon... and VOILA!!  My Printer Assistant is now working!!

11)  I turned my firewall and anti-virus back on and I am IN business

Hope these instructions can help someone else.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I opened the HP Envy 7640 e-All-in-One Printer Series disk to look at all the files and folders.  I found the file E7460x86.msi and right clicked it to Install.  The installation did not complete.  It got the error "7460x64.cab has an invalid digital signature.  Cabinet file may be corrupt". 

Is there a way for me to download the file from the HP website or to get another installation disk if the files on the disk are corrupt?

HP Recommended

Maybe not all these steps were necessary, but here's what I did and it worked!!:

1)  Opened HP Support Assistant icon on desktop.  It's a white question mark in a blue circle.

2)  HP Support Assistant should show all your HP devices.  Find your printer and click on UPDATES.  (Mine did not have any updates pending, but I clicked on UPDATES anyway)

3)  Click on Diagnostics and Tools

4)  Click on HP Print and Scan Doctor.  Select your printer and hit NEXT

5)  You will get FIX PRINTING and FIX SCANNING.  I selected FIX SCANNING

6)  When it finished, a screen opens and says "If you are still experiencing problems with your product, here are some additional support options".   I physically removed the printer cable from the USB port and selected "UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL with the latest software".  I didn't expect it to work, but it did.  

7)  I rebooted.  When my pc came up, I didn't start any other programs or applications.  I disabled the firewall and anti-virus software temporarily.

😎  I re-inserted the printer cable into a USB port

9)  I opened the HP Envy 7640 installation disk and right clicked on the file:  E7640x64.msi.  I clicked on Install

10)  The software installed without error.  I then went to my desktop, clicked on the HP ENVY 7640 Series icon... and VOILA!!  My Printer Assistant is now working!!

11)  I turned my firewall and anti-virus back on and I am IN business

Hope these instructions can help someone else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.