Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I can't print anything without getting a message that the Cartridge is expired.  (Officejet d145) I replaced both the black and the color.  I have reset the printer.  It still won't print, even a document in all black without saying the color cartridge is expired.  Both of these cartridges are Original HP{ cartridges right out of the box and cellophane.  In my opinion, the printer should not refuse to print in cases like this.  Is there any way around this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

YES!!

I finally fixed this problem.  Details here:

http://richard.hornbaker.org/2012/09/30/fixing-mac-hp-expired-ink-error/

Enjoy!

Richard

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

You didn't say the model of the printer you are using. However, below is an article that talks about ink expiration:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01764161

Ink can thicken with age and clog the ink system, causing damage. The ink will age even while in all of its original wrappings, so each cartridge has an date on it stating when the warranty on it ends. Only a small percentage of cartridges also have an expiration date. Details about that, and the printers that do stop printing with expired ink are listed in the article linked above.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I have an HP Ink Jet 8500 Pro.  I cannot seem to find a way to override the expired brand new cartridge.  I ordered several a year ago not know that they would expire.  The error message says to hit ok that it was ok to continue printing.  I have hit all of the ok's I can find and it still will not print.  I have several of these that are still brand new that I would like to use.  Any suggestions?  Does this printer have a battery in it that can be removed?  Thanks, Carol

HP Recommended

Hi Realtorcvp,

It is strange that it won't go on after you hit OK. If your model has an OK button on the control panel, all you should have to do is press that button to go on. Some models might have another button to press, but whichever one you need to touch should be on or blinking.

If just pressing a button doesn't work, you can try some of the solutions in the following document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02005923

Although the instructions weren't written for your problem, the first solution (reset) is the most likely thing to help. If that doesn't do it, the next thing to try is the toolbox routine to clean the printheads. Even if you've kept the cartridges in a cool, rather humid environment that is best for their storage, the ink inside will thicken with age. Hopefully, a good printhead cleaning should get the ink flowing through the nozzles. If you can't figure out how to get the printer to clean the printheads, you can get a copy of the user manual at the link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen&lc=en&product=3...

If you're still having the problem, I'd go back to the first document linked above and try solutions 4 and 5. If they don't work, I'm afraid the cartridge is just not useable.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I have a C7280 and I'm experiencing the same error message.  The ink has "expired" and will not let me override.

I don't understand...I just bought these 3 months ago at Staples.  They are BRAND NEW, never opened..still sealed in the air/water tight package.   What a waste of money.....but I guess that's the whole idea.

This will be my last HP Printer after buying HP printers for over 20 years.

HP Recommended

Hi KenHower,

Sorry to hear of your problems. The Photosmart C7280 should let you print even with expired cartridges. It has an override option. If the override isn't working there must be something else going on.

Override instructions should appear with the message about expiration, or you can check your user's manual for the directions. Here is a webpage that explains why some printers have ink that expires:

http://www.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/articles/inkExpiration.html?cCode=us&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen

If you purchased genuine HP cartridges from Staples, then they have a warranty and you should be able to get your money back. Normally, new cartridges would have much more time before they expire, so once again, something is wrong here.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I could never get my "override" to work it said to just push ok and it would allow me to print w/the expired cartridge.  That didn't happen.  I sense have changed printers to a Wireless Kodak Printer and absolutely love it.  I get a lot more pages per cartridge and the ink is about 1/2 the price of the HP.  

HP Recommended

Hi realtorcvb,

Glad you are doing well with the new printer. Sorry that we couldn't help. Can't win 'em all, I guess :indifferent:

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

When I try to print with my Officejet pro 8500 with an expired cartridge I get a warning message as follows:

Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 8.57.20 AM.png
Clearly the warning message gives me the option to "click OK" to continue printing but where is the OK to click? Seems to me if no one at HP can tell me where this OK button is, HP employees themselves are obviously confussed as to their product limitations. Below is HP's official statement from their site http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01764161 about ink supply. My printer Officejet Pro 8500 is clearly listed as a printer you can override. If no HP emplyee can tell us how to override it it is A BLUNT MISREPRESENTATION of the product we purchased. I WANT MY MONEY BACK. 
Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 11.17.28 AM.png
HP Recommended

I have a HP 8500. I use a PC and a Mac wirelessly. The PC prints every time and has never received an error message from the 8500. The MAC can't print at all. The MAC gets error messages from the 8500 frquently. The MAC gets the same Magenta cartridge expired message. All cartridges have generous supplies of ink in them. In order to print from the MAC I have to email the job to the PC to do the printing. This is ridiculous. This is the latest in a long list of problems the 8500 has given me. I am going to buy a new printer. It will not be a HP printer. I am disgusted with the HP products and the service. No wonder the company is in such trouble. They road test their products on their customer base, and we spend our time to correct the bugs. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.