Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Amen Brother:-)  Have been much happier since I changed over to a Kodak Pritner, it works flawlessly and the ink cartridge is much less money.  No error messages on my Apple.  

HP Recommended

Hi,

When an expired ink error message appears on the computer screen, it should also appear on the printer display.

For those who have a printer that can override the warning message - If the computer screen does not show an "OK" button, check the printer display and press "OK" there.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I have pressed the "OK" on the printer display screen and it makes on difference as far as accepting the expired cartridge.  Nothing at all changes and it doesn't allow me to over=ride and print.  One time it went thru a lot of steps and cleaned cartridges etc. and it took prob 15 min.  At the end of this time it said to replace ALL cartridges asap and it still would not print.  All of these cartridges were purhased at the same time and I assume had the same date on them although prior to the cleaning episide only one cartridge was giving me the message.  These cartridges were NOT old enough to have bad ink that would ruin the printer.  I feel that HP is just trying to control the situation and try and sell more ink.  Too bad b/c it sound like they are loosing a lot of their older, true customers.  Again, NO  HP printers for me in my future.  

HP Recommended

Sounds like you had more issues than just an expired ink cart error in your case. Not sure what you had going on, but if you've gotten rid of the printer I guess it is a moot point.

If anyone else is having this issue, I recommend the following:

1. Uninstalling the software using the HP Uninstaller from the Applications/Hewlett Packard folder
  2. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and repair disk permissions. 
  3. Reboot the printer and reboot the Mac. 
  4. Download the latest software for your product from HP.com and install it.  

At some point you are going to want to replace the expired ink cartridges.

HP Recommended

In this time of reduce/reuse/recycle, I am choosing to refill my cartridges with ink (rather than buy new ones). The expiration dates attached to these reused cartriges are a major annoyance. HP needs to inform us consumers with an override for these cartridges. HP is forcing me to be wasteful by not allowing their cartridges to be reused!!!

HP Recommended

I still have the printer, but can't print.

I am a new MAC user and don't understand your instruction to go to " applications/utilities/disk utility/"...I have a MacBookAir, it has no disk drive. Where do i go from here???

HP Recommended

Hi Jnorman:

I'm not sure why you need to repair your disk permissions, but you should have a disk utility on your Mac Air. Open a Finder window, then click Applications on the left nav. Then in the list of applications that opens on the right, click the Utilities folder to open, then click the Disk Utility.

As I said, I don't know why you need to repair disk permissions, but there's no harm in doing it. Just select your hard drive and then click Repair Disk Permissions.

Note that the instructions above tell you to remove the HP software first, then repair disk permissions, then install the latest HP software. Uninstalling and reinstalling might help with your problem. You can find the HP software for your Officejet 8500 Pro here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=37524...

I work on HP's behalf.
HP Recommended

Hi leithompson,

While refilling seems like a good idea, it often damages the cartridge and usually the replacement ink is not specifically designed to work with the ink delivery system of that printer.

HP has only a few inks that do expire, most allow override, and it has an excellent recycling program:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-information/environment/product-recycling.html

Below is an article that talks about ink expiration:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01764161 

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended
Because repairing disk permissions can resolve faulty error reporting on a Mac. That's why I suggested doing it.
HP Recommended

The repair disk function is unavailable. I have un-installed/re-installed the 8500 printer drivers several times to no positive result.

I have a Dell computer on the sytem and it interacts perfectly with the 8500 and prints all jobs. The MAC printed OK for months and now it won't print and sends a lot of bogus cartridge expired messages to the MAC, over 70  messages just last night.

Where do I go from here?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.