Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Like many other users on this forum, I have been having a problem with my Office Jet Pro 8500 using a Mac.  Short of purchasing all new ink, I have followed every suggestion in this forum including uninstalling the HP software, repairing disk permissions, rebooting and reinstalling the printer software directly from HP.  Despite all of my efforts, no matter what I do, the minute I press "print" even though I am only trying to print black-and-white, I am thwarted by the error messaging telling me that my ink is expired and to press "OK" to proceed.

There is no "OK" to press.  Many users have already commented that there is nothing to press on the error window pop-up.  Nor is there any ok to press on the printer screen either.  The ink supply level indicator illuminates with an exclamation mark, which when depressed simply serves to inform me that the ink is expired.  I press the "OK" in the lower left corner but that does not resolve the problem.  So, nothing works.

Short of trying to force users to purchase ink more frequently, I do not understand why HP has implemented such a draconian measure.  As our printer is already out of warranty, it should be my choice to use "expired ink that may be thicker" than HP suggests.  Moreover, if HP says that this printer has the ability to overwrite this error, that it should be apparent.

Any additional suggestions to resolve this annoying issue would be appreciated. 

HP Recommended

I have un-installed/re-installed the 8500 printer several times now to no positive result. The 8500 sent 89 messages to the MAC last night about expired ink cartridges. I have a PC on the home system. The 8500 accepts and executes print orders from the Dell without any problems. The printer sends no expired ink cartridge messages to the Dell. The MAC printed OK for several months after it was bought and put on the wireless network. I do not plan to buy all new ink cartridges until the current ones have run out. They still have ink in them. This is all about buying ink cartridges from HP and not from a re-filler. My solution is going to be to use the 8500 as an anchor for my boat and buy another brand of printer. There are plenty of printers out there which can use re-filled ink cartridges.

HP Recommended

I bought these HP cartridges a year ago.  Does mean that I must toss them?  Just bought another HP printer not realizing that the "expired cartridge was the issue.  If that is the only fix then the new one goes back.

HP Recommended

Hi Gmikeee,

Only a few ink cartridges expire. I'm not sure if any of the new models use those type of cartridges.

Some printers allow you to use old cartridges, but like buying milk or something else with an expiration date, the ink might have deteriorated with age. Using expired ink could possibly damage your printer. That is the reason you'll get a warning about using the cartridge past the expiration date of the ink.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

Thanks Mary,

I bought these cartridges 88XL at Costco.  I buy 4 cartdidges to avoid having to rush off in the middle of a project.  Obviously, I haven't used them as fast as I used to but the printer is only five years old so is this one of the unfortunate HP L7650s?

Thanks for your courteous response.  Throwing away $180 worth of used cartridges is a bit unsettling.

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

In theory, a printer in the Officejet Pro L7600 series (which includes the L7650, of course) has the ability to override the expiration warning. If the HP software was loaded onto your computer, you can just follow the instructions on the screen. Otherwise, instructions should be in your user manual.

I believe the process is as simple as pressing (or clicking) OK or whatever button is lit or blinking, to allow it to proceed with the printing. Here is a webpage with further information on ink expiration.

http://www.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/articles/inkExpiration.html?cCode=us&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen

Not sure if it would help, but I'd give the cartridges a good shake before inserting. The ink is a mixture and prolonged storage might make it settle. Couldn't hurt! :generic:

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

Thank you for your patience on this BUT:

When I scan, the digital image is all black.  When I copy the image is all black except for a few horizon lines of white- so the ink is flowing.  Finally, it refuses to print even when I tell the printer that the year is 2009.  Reason: expired cartridge.  Hard to understand when it should think it is a year before the expiration date??  

I won't bother you after this.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.  Mike

HP Recommended

Can anyone explain where the **** OK button is on the iMac.  Its not on the printer.  Its not the computer screen.  There is no Okay to be found on the 8500 on a Mac.

I think everybody understands what is going on here except the HP people that have failed to answer the question.

Just tell us that HP is lying about the ability to override the 8500 on a Mac.

Do I get a refund from somebody on new, sealed OfficeMax cartridges I purchased that were recycled and therefore more environmentally friendly?

This sucks.  Never buying another HP, that's for sure.

HP Recommended

Hi folks, I'll try to help follow up on these queries.

Jay_Lo, to answer your specific q on the OfficeMax cartridges, you could go back to the actual store, I'm not sure what their policy is. We have a recycling program for empty HP cartridges, but your q is more so on refunds.

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Is there a work around for an expired Cartridge, when you know the cartfidge is new

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.