Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

YES!!

I finally fixed this problem.  Details here:

http://richard.hornbaker.org/2012/09/30/fixing-mac-hp-expired-ink-error/

Enjoy!

Richard

HP Recommended

Thank you richard.  HP, how did your software designers forget to put in an 'ok' button on the mac platform?  Didn't anybody test this before releasing it?  Where is the software update for this??   Why is this not being addressed in any of your responses????

HP Recommended

You are of course right sgrubman.   Thankfully Richard (not an HP rep) has figured out a workaround.  Disable SNMPv1 using the network setup setting.  Why are non HP reps figuring out the problem and a workaround, and not HP?   Is it because we won't have to buy new ink carts if the problem gets solved?  This has obviously been a problem for some time, and still no answer that actually worked from HP, other than 'buy new cartridges' because old cartridges 'might' gum up your printer.  Lame.

HP Recommended

EXACT same problem -- on Macbook says "The following cartridges are past their expiration dates: Magenta. You should remove or replace the expired cartridges or click OK to continue with the expired cartridges." THERE IS NO OK. Nothing works to over ride this.

HOWEVER, approximatley 15 MINUTES later, without me doing anything after the initial print request, the printer will spontaneously print the document in the print queue.

The SAME cartridge works fine when printing from a PC. No problems. Same printer on the same wireless network. 

Your suggestion to uninstall and reinstall the software shows a complete absence of understanding of what this requires. I did this the first time I was asked to do this -- the entire process took TWO HOURS. And nothing improved after the re-install. There is so much bloatware in this software installation it's just obscene. Something like 400MB of software. For a PRINTER! Nonsense HP! What has happened to you? HP used to be the best technology company on the planet --- in the past 10 years, you guys have completely lost the plot.

HP Recommended

I've always maintained that HP is the only manufacturer that knows how to make a good inkjet

printer, but NO MORE.  My HP 8500 all-in-one will be the last HP for me.  The ink cartridge is

OK but HP wants to sell you some new cartridges.  Phooey! 

HP Recommended

I know.  It's lame, and HP won't fess up to forgetting to give Mac users an OK button.  However, Richard (above) found a workaround.  http://richard.hornbaker.org/2012/09/30/fixing-mac-hp-expired-ink-error/

HP Recommended

I have wasted so many new original HP cartridges when asked to replenish "empty ink" , none of which has exepried.  What's going on (beside increasing revenues for exhorbitant HP ink deal???)

HP Recommended

@lckoziol wrote:

I have wasted so many new original HP cartridges when asked to replenish "empty ink" , none of which has exepried.  What's going on (beside increasing revenues for exhorbitant HP ink deal???)

Hi, what printer model do you have?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I have the HP 8500 OfficeJet Pro.  I've had HP printers for many years and have always felt that HP 

was the only printer I'd own (I also am working right now on HP all-in-one computer that I really love),

but the 8500 is a POS and I went out and got a cheapie Epson and it works great, it's networked and the 

wife and I both use it almost exclusively.  

I'm very serious, that 8500 is BAD! 

HP Recommended

This is a known problem with HP on the Mac, and their tech support will never tell you that.   If it's printing wirelessly or over the network, you can turn off SNMP and it will let you print, but you have to turn it back on to scan.  If it's over USB, there is nothing you can do about it.

@realtorcvb wrote:

I have pressed the "OK" on the printer display screen and it makes on difference as far as accepting the expired cartridge.  Nothing at all changes and it doesn't allow me to over=ride and print.  One time it went thru a lot of steps and cleaned cartridges etc. and it took prob 15 min.  At the end of this time it said to replace ALL cartridges asap and it still would not print.  All of these cartridges were purhased at the same time and I assume had the same date on them although prior to the cleaning episide only one cartridge was giving me the message.  These cartridges were NOT old enough to have bad ink that would ruin the printer.  I feel that HP is just trying to control the situation and try and sell more ink.  Too bad b/c it sound like they are loosing a lot of their older, true customers.  Again, NO  HP printers for me in my future.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.