Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6600
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Printer failure, no error code.  Tried troubleshooting tips; resetting did not work and cleaning copper on ink cartridges, did not work either.   Printer 3 yrs old so out of warranty.   This printer is in a vacation home and  I remove the cartridges over the winter.  Is that a problem?  Is there anything else to try or do I need a new printer?  Tried to submit contact HP form 3 times to no avail....website could use improvement.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Removing the cartridges to store the printer for the winter is a major problem - this will cause the non-replaceable printhead to dry out, likely leaving clogged ink residue.  In the future if you have a printer with separate ink supplies and printheads (like the Officejet 6600) the cartrdiges should not ever be removed from the printer for more than thirty minutes at a time, and the printer should never be powered down with the cartridges removed.

The following might help recover the printhead (maybe 10% chance).  Turn on the printer, remove the print cartrdiges and drip hot water onto the screens on the printhead where the ink cartridges would connect.  I would put about 3-5 drops in each screen.  Let this sit for a few minutes, then replace the print cartridges.  Run three cleaning cycles in quick succession from the front panel or toolbox.  Is there any ink at all on the page?  If so let the printer sit overnight, then repeat the process.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Removing the cartridges to store the printer for the winter is a major problem - this will cause the non-replaceable printhead to dry out, likely leaving clogged ink residue.  In the future if you have a printer with separate ink supplies and printheads (like the Officejet 6600) the cartrdiges should not ever be removed from the printer for more than thirty minutes at a time, and the printer should never be powered down with the cartridges removed.

The following might help recover the printhead (maybe 10% chance).  Turn on the printer, remove the print cartrdiges and drip hot water onto the screens on the printhead where the ink cartridges would connect.  I would put about 3-5 drops in each screen.  Let this sit for a few minutes, then replace the print cartridges.  Run three cleaning cycles in quick succession from the front panel or toolbox.  Is there any ink at all on the page?  If so let the printer sit overnight, then repeat the process.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Even though it is not what I wanted to hear,  thank you.  Looks like I have nothing to lose by trying to restore the printhead.  Wish I had known that my efforts to save $$ on ink was likely to harm the printer.   Will let you know if it works.  I am anything but adept at this stuff!

HP Recommended

Bob, thanks to you I have hope.  I did as you suggested, though had a tough time gauging 3 to 5 drops.   I ran 3 cleaning cycles ... all colors are coming through, although the magenta not quite as well.  I will do as you suggest and turn the printer off until tomorrow and repeat the process.  Perhaps printhead dryout wasn't complete.  I promise to never, ever do this kind of a bonehead play again!

HP Recommended

Glad to hear you are getting the colors to mostly print - if they print at all it is probable that things will recover.  Does black print as well?  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Yes, the black looks good!

HP Recommended

I cannot thank you enough for your help.  My printer is back and I could not have done it without your expert advice.   Thank you!

HP Recommended

I am glad things are working.  I really did not expect such good results. :OpenSmile:

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.