Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 8500A all in one
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printed ok yesterday. Today it is printing complete black pages, on both black and colour settings.  Also scanning complete black page.  Has been on standby - not turned off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello!
Welcome to the HP Community @ebe7fos,

I read about how your prints and scans are completely black now when using your Officejet 8500A printer, and wanted to drop in to help. Try the steps and answer all of the following questions please and reply with the outcome, and we can go from there if needed.

Reset the printer and ensure it's plugged in directly to a wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors:

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the unit.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the unit.
If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

1. How is the printer connected (USB/ wireless/ wired/ Bluetooth)?
  2. Have you tested hardware functionality (made copies) and do they work successfully?
  3. Have you tried printing from different programs?
  4. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software?
  5. Run the Print and Scan Doctor and include the results.
  6. Did you make any recent changes to your set up (physical move, upgrade, downgrade, new software installed, new router, etc)?
  7. Have you tried using a different USB/Ethernet cable?
  8. Do you see any error messages or codes, and if so, what are they saying and where do you see them?

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Click the "Accept as Solution" if the issue has reached a resolution! Hit the thumbs up below to like my post or show thanks to me for lending a hand! Smiley Happy

Wishing you a wonderful daySmiley Very Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello!
Welcome to the HP Community @ebe7fos,

I read about how your prints and scans are completely black now when using your Officejet 8500A printer, and wanted to drop in to help. Try the steps and answer all of the following questions please and reply with the outcome, and we can go from there if needed.

Reset the printer and ensure it's plugged in directly to a wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors:

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the unit.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the unit.
If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

1. How is the printer connected (USB/ wireless/ wired/ Bluetooth)?
  2. Have you tested hardware functionality (made copies) and do they work successfully?
  3. Have you tried printing from different programs?
  4. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software?
  5. Run the Print and Scan Doctor and include the results.
  6. Did you make any recent changes to your set up (physical move, upgrade, downgrade, new software installed, new router, etc)?
  7. Have you tried using a different USB/Ethernet cable?
  8. Do you see any error messages or codes, and if so, what are they saying and where do you see them?

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Click the "Accept as Solution" if the issue has reached a resolution! Hit the thumbs up below to like my post or show thanks to me for lending a hand! Smiley Happy

Wishing you a wonderful daySmiley Very Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you Rainbow7000, The Print and Scan Doctor fixed the printing and scanning in colour. Disconnecting the lead and plugging directly into socket seems to have sorted scanning in black. 

Really appreciate your help. I love my printer and was very worried about it!

Kind regards

ebe7fos

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.