Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4620
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

A few days ago, I had a really bad paper jam and had to forcefully pull about 20 sheets of paper out of the feeder.  Since then, the black ink has not been working properly.  When printing a document, several lines are missing.  I had a brand new ink cartridge in the printer, but replaced it anyway to see if it was faulty.  Unfortunately, the same thing is happening with the another new cartridge.  I am using HP ink cartridges.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve the poor print quality after clearing a paper jam on your Officejet 4620.  In the test page printed in Solution Six do the color and black bars print correctly?  If there are sharply defined missing areas it may be the electrical connections to the printhead were disrupted.

Follow these steps to print and then evaluate the Print Quality Diagnostic Report.

Step one: Print the report
  1. Load plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the tray.
  2. On the control panel home screen, press the Setup icon .
  3. Press the button next to the Down Arrow until Reports displays next to OK.
  4. Press the button next to OK to select Reports.
  5. Press the button next to the Down Arrow until Print Quality Report displays next to OK, and then press the button next to OK. The report prints.
    Figure : Example of the report
    Image: Example of the test report

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob, 

Thank you for your response.  I printed out the page and almost the entire black bar (above all the other colors) did not print.  Can you give any suggestions on what to do from here?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Can you scan that portion of the test page (black out the serial number if it is visible) and post it here?  You would need to save the picture to your computer, then upload it here using the insert/edit image icon two spaces to the right of the smiley face in the tool bar when you reply.

If you cannot upload the picture please describe the lines and missing portions - are they sharp and well defined, or are there a number of ragged lines, some missing and some full length?  If the missing area is sharp and well defined it is likely that pulling out the paper has  dislodged the electrical connection for the printhead.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.