Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 7510
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

Have just upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. The HP printer connects wirelessly and prints a test page, but will not print anything else! Doesnt even appear in the print queue?

I have Macafee instaleed, could a  firewall be blocking it?? I have tried turning on/off, rescanning for printers, which it finds, but nothing will make it print.

Help, its driving me insane! 

Thank you 🙂

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi @MHH1,

A firewall could certainly be blocking the communicating to the printer, but before we get ahead of ourselves let's try a few things. First and foremost, I'd like you to run the HP Print and Scan Doctor. 

The HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free utility (tool) that helps to quickly resolve common printing, scanning and connectivity issues including but not limited to:

• Connectivity:

USB: Verifies that the USB connection from your computer to the HP product is working correctly.

Network: Verifies that the network connection between your computer and your network is working correctly.

• Device Status Test: Checks for device errors such as out of paper, paper jams, carriage stalls, and paper feed issues, and then provides instructions for fixing the error.

• Driver Check: Checks for missing or corrupt driver files.

• Device Manager: Checks for problems in Device Manager that would prevent printing.

• Device Online: Checks if the product has been paused or set to offline, and then sets the status back to online if necessary.

• Print Queue: Checks for and clears pending print jobs in the print queue (a log of print jobs waiting to print).

• Port Match: Checks the port settings for the HP product.

• Device Conflicts: Checks for conflicts with other drivers, such as other printer brands.

• Ink Issues: Checks the cartridges and ink levels for issues that affect print quality.

• Print Settings: Checks and adjusts the print quality settings.

• Test Print: Prints a test page for print quality evaluation, and provides options for cleaning and aligning the printhead if necessary.

• Scan Tests: Checks the scan mechanism, drivers, and registry entries.

Source:Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Click here to download and run the Print and Scan Doctor> >>>>> www.hp.com/go/tools

If that does not resolve the issue, post back and let me know if there are any symbols other than green check marks and what they are next to of course. The wrench is not always easy to spot as the wrench and the check mart are in the green circle.

• If you see only green check marks (), the tool did not find any problems.

• If you see green wrenches (), the utility identified an issue and corrected it automatically.

• If you see yellow exclamation points (), the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see a red X (), follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

If you have any difficulties let me know and I will do all I can to help. Also, when the Print and Scan Doctor closes you will see a survey window, please complete this survey to help us help you. All feed back is appreciated and valued.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you, and working towards a solution.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I'm unable to print.  I'm just able to print a test page, nothing else.  Very important doucments that I must send.

HP Recommended

@MHH1 wrote:

Hi,

Have just upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. The HP printer connects wirelessly and prints a test page, but will not print anything else! Doesnt even appear in the print queue?

I have Macafee instaleed, could a  firewall be blocking it?? I have tried turning on/off, rescanning for printers, which it finds, but nothing will make it print.

Help, its driving me insane! 

Thank you 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @Amanda2

I'd be happy to help you print. I see you can print test pages but not the selected documents you are trying to print. Please try bypassing the spooler to see if you can print directly to the printer.

1. Click on start and go to devices and printers.
2. Right click on  the printer and click on printer properties.
3. Choose the option "Print directly to the printer".
4. Click apply and then ok.

If this works follow the next steps and try to print again.

Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box

• Type services.msc and press Enter
  • Locate Print Spooler and double click on it to open the Spooler properties print spooler.JPG
  • Make sure startup type is set to Automatic, if it is not please click on the drop down and choose Automaticprinter server properties.JPG
  • Under Service status, please Stop the server, and then wait a moment and click Start

One you have stopped and started the spooler, try printing a document again and let me know if it works. 

If the issue persists,I suggest using the following steps to delete the printer from device and printers, and the driver from the server properties.

1. In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

• Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows 7/8 and 8.1 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

If documents are stuck in the print spooler, you may see an error, cancel any documents pending in the print queue, or try restarting the print spooler, then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again. If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and the printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.

After the driver is removed, open Start > All Programs > HP folder > Printer folder > HP Setup and Software (or the printer icon).

The Setup and software screen will open and you can click on Connect a new printer.

setup and software.JPG

Let me know how this works out and we can go from there. 🙂 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

print.jpg

Hi! I got a printer, installed it on my laptop, and I tried printed this image on left and this is what i got .

Printer is HP photosmart c4200 all in one, and i have windows 7. i've tried all the steps you are mentioning above and still no effect. test page is printing just fine, i used this hp doctor and it doesnt see any issues either

HP Recommended

did you get this sorted?  I am 2 days into to trying to get mine to print and nthing.

HP Recommended

I also just upgraded to Win 10 and now cannot print to my 7410 printer. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers and at the end of the installation when it asked if I wanted to print a test page I was able to. However, I cannot print anything from my computer. I tried switching to print direct to printer as you suggest in you instructions, but that did not work either. Any other ideas? Also, you instructions seemed to be for Win 7 or 8 and not Win 10.

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem for months. Tried all of the ideas here, deleted/reinstalled the full printer software several times, rebooted my computer and the printer, etc. with no luck. Suspected I would need to install a basic printer driver and found confirmation from this page -

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Color-LaserJet-Pro-M252dw-cannot...

Yes - the Universal Printer Driver for PCL6 fixed the problem. For me. I hope it will for you too.

PS - have you reset the ownership of files and directories on your computer? I have (because Excel would not save my files) and wonder if that is connected to the problem. Hello HP - please pay attention and check this out and save us lots of time.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue HP 2132 - and Windows 10 doesn't seem to give me the options.  I'm ready to go buy another printer by a different maker as I bought it because I needed a printer NOW. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.