Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Just bought a swell HP 6500 Wireless Printer -- but...

It is printing crooked on the sheets. How do I calibrate it to print with proper alignment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have this same printer, and it had started printing crooked.  Here is how I got mine to act right :generic:

First, I checked the duplexer in the back.  I removed it and made sure I didn't see any paper anywhere (I had been through several paper jams at this point :robotmad:) and replaced it, being sure it was snapped into place on both sides.

Next I completed the alignment process.  Here are the steps:

1)  Press the Setup button on the device control panel (the one with the image of a wrench on it)

2)  Press the right arrow button until you reach "6. Tools"

3)  Press OK

4)  Press Right Arrow Button until you reach "3. Align Printer"

5)  Press OK

The screen will say:

Aligning Cartridges...  Please wait.  This process will take approximately 7 minutes."

After the printer has completed the process, a page will print out.  The screen will then state:

Success

Alignment successful.  Recycle or discard the page printed.  Press OK to Continue.

After this, my 6500 worked like a dream.  I hope this helps someone!  :OpenSmile:

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I just bought a brand new 6500 and am having the same problem! It's pretty upsetting as a consumer to purchase a new product and not have it work correctly.  I'm very upset about it. No matter what I try this printer will not print straight.  HP's just lucky I'm complaining about it here instead of amazon or buy.com.

HP Recommended

I have this same printer, and it had started printing crooked.  Here is how I got mine to act right :generic:

First, I checked the duplexer in the back.  I removed it and made sure I didn't see any paper anywhere (I had been through several paper jams at this point :robotmad:) and replaced it, being sure it was snapped into place on both sides.

Next I completed the alignment process.  Here are the steps:

1)  Press the Setup button on the device control panel (the one with the image of a wrench on it)

2)  Press the right arrow button until you reach "6. Tools"

3)  Press OK

4)  Press Right Arrow Button until you reach "3. Align Printer"

5)  Press OK

The screen will say:

Aligning Cartridges...  Please wait.  This process will take approximately 7 minutes."

After the printer has completed the process, a page will print out.  The screen will then state:

Success

Alignment successful.  Recycle or discard the page printed.  Press OK to Continue.

After this, my 6500 worked like a dream.  I hope this helps someone!  :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

"First, I checked the duplexer in the back.  I removed it and made sure I didn't see any paper anywhere (I had been through several paper jams at this point :robotmad:) and replaced it, being sure it was snapped into place on both sides."

FYI for anyone else showing up here looking for a fix. The above is the secret trick. I was 10 seconds away from bringing this printer back and thought I'd try the forums first. (why doesn't the search in the regular help support section bring up these solutions?). I checked my duplexer and it was indeed not completely plugged into the printer. Thanks Karla3000.

HP Recommended

I just wanted to second the post that said this was a "miracle cure." I had all but given up on my printer, and had multiple technicians and even the HP help line confused. But upon reading this post I decided to take off the duplex thing and put it back on... I was doubtful but sure enough, it works! Thank you!

HP Recommended

I tried using the alignment process. The printer said it could not even detect the page. No jammed paper, the roller wheels appear clean. 

So. . . I tried the duplexer, I took it off, put it back on. Seemed like a wicked obscure fix.  But, it worked, now prints straight, and alignment worked. Who knew.

HP Recommended

Since I had had no paper jams, I skipped the removal of the duplexer.  Big mistake.  Be sure to do that first, and it works!!!!  Thanks so much.

HP Recommended

I have been messing with this thing for 2 months to get correct drivers so it prints AND scans. Would only scan. Finally got it working tonight and it would not print straight. Checked the duplexer as described and it was not all the way in on one side. Great answer!!!! It now finally works correctly.

HP Recommended

You found and fixed my problem also. Many Thanks! When I pulled on it the L/R corn slipped and the release unlocked. That fixed it. 10 points.

HP Recommended

I also tried to "Align" the printer and that did not work. I pulled the duplexer off the back and wiped down the rollers, just with my fingers, and put it back on and it worked! It might of been that the duplexer wasn't on correctly. I am not sure which it was. There seemed to be a little dirt on the rollers so it could of been that. Either way....it works now and I am glad! Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.