Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip. This corrected my problem seconds before I was about to throw the J6480 out my window!! LOL

@karla3000 wrote:

I have this same printer, and it had started printing crooked.  Here is how I got mine to act right :generic:

First, I checked the duplexer in the back.  I removed it and made sure I didn't see any paper anywhere (I had been through several paper jams at this point :robotmad:) and replaced it, being sure it was snapped into place on both sides.

Next I completed the alignment process.  Here are the steps:

1)  Press the Setup button on the device control panel (the one with the image of a wrench on it)

2)  Press the right arrow button until you reach "6. Tools"

3)  Press OK

4)  Press Right Arrow Button until you reach "3. Align Printer"

5)  Press OK

The screen will say:

Aligning Cartridges...  Please wait.  This process will take approximately 7 minutes."

After the printer has completed the process, a page will print out.  The screen will then state:

Success

Alignment successful.  Recycle or discard the page printed.  Press OK to Continue.

After this, my 6500 worked like a dream.  I hope this helps someone!  :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

What's a "duplexer"?

This system helps on my Photosmart 8150 only to align the print cartridges . . . but not my problem: the whole subject prints crooked on the page.

HP Recommended

Thank goodnees for you all and this post!!!  I was losing my mind and could not get this printer to print straight for anything!!  I was cursing myself for taking a chance on a refurbished printer from Staples!!  I loaded and unloaded the software, plugged and unplugged the printer, tried and retried to do the alignment adjustment, etc. - wasted at least 20 pages of paper - nothing worked!!!  Who knew it would be as simple as the "duplexer" (which is part of the paper tray that pulls in the paper) located at the back of the printer was loose and needed to be properly fitted into the slots.  Well Eureka!!  That was all it took and now I can print from my desktop, my laptop, my iphone and my son's ipod touch - all prints straight and seamlessly!!!!

HP Recommended
By the way, I don't have the same model as everyone else in this post I have the C310A, yet the fix still worked for me.
HP Recommended

That sure sounds like an elegant solution for the problem. But I donated my HP, and bought a Canon instead. It has a couple of advantages, including not looking like it is going to shake something loose in the near future.

Thank you for your contribution here.

HP Recommended

I know this was a vary old posting, but it provided the perfect fix for the alignment problem on my Photosmart C8180.

(Why doesn't this issue and fix come up in HP's support site??)

Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

It's August 2017 and this worked for me, too. I spent all morning wasting paper, ink and talking with HP Support. I was prepared to take the 8720 printer back to Office Depot. I hope this is a permanent fix. Thanks to the angel who posted this many years ago. 🙂

HP Recommended

I too was frustrated with misaligned printing when feeding paper from Tray 1. I used the settings to realign the print heads and it was still printing crooked.

I followed the recommendation here, removed the duplexing tray and used a flashlight to look inside to make sure that ALL of the paper fragments had been removed. Turns out a Post-it had been feed through at some time prior and it was stuck between the rollers! Using tweezers, I was able to remove the Post-it and the printer now works as expected.  THANKS!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks I did that & it worked, been like it for ages had jammed paper, didn’t put it back properly 👍

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.